Proving Convergence of Series: (a_n) and (a_{2n-1} + a_{2n})

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the convergence of a series based on the convergence of its subsequences. In the first part, it is shown that if the sum of a sequence converges, then the sum of its odd and even terms also converges. In the second part, the convergence of the original sequence is proven under the condition that the sum of its odd and even terms converges and the sequence itself approaches 0.
drawar

Homework Statement

Let [itex](a_n)[/itex] be a sequence.
(i) Prove that if [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{a_n}} [/itex] converges, then [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {{a_{2n - 1}} + {a_{2n}}} \right)} [/itex] also converges.

(ii) Prove that if [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {{a_{2n - 1}} + {a_{2n}}} \right)} [/itex] converges and [itex]a_n \to 0[/itex], then [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{a_n}} [/itex] converges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Let [itex]{R_n} = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {{a_k}} [/itex], [itex]{S_n} = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {{a_{2k - 1}}} [/itex], and [itex]{T_n} = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {{a_{2k}}} [/itex]

Then [itex]{R_{2n}}={S_n}+{T_n}[/itex], since [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{a_n}} [/itex] converges, the sequence [itex](R_n)[/itex] converges, and so is the subsequence [itex](R_{2n})[/itex]. It follows that [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {{a_{2n - 1}} + {a_{2n}}} \right)} [/itex].

(ii) Ok so I'm stuck on this part. I already have [itex](R_{2n})[/itex] converges and [itex](a_n)[/itex] is bounded, how can I go about proving that [itex](R_{n})[/itex] converges as well? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The convergence of Rn does not guarantee the convergence of Sn or Tn, you cannot write it as sum like that.
The idea to use a sequence and subsequences is good, however.

(ii) how can R2n+1 deviate from R2n, if an->0?

mfb said:
The convergence of Rn does not guarantee the convergence of Sn or Tn, you cannot write it as sum like that.
The idea to use a sequence and subsequences is good, however.

(ii) how can R2n+1 deviate from R2n, if an->0?

I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier.

For (i), I agree with you that the convergence of [itex]R_n[/itex] does not imply the convergence of [itex]S_n[/itex] or [itex]T_n[/itex] but it can imply that ([itex]S_n[/itex]+[itex]S_n[/itex]) converges right?

Btw, I think I may get your point for part (ii), let me just say what I'm thinking: Since [itex]R_{2n}[/itex] = [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex]+[itex]a_{2n}[/itex], it can be deduced that [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex] converges to the same limit as [itex]R_{2n}[/itex], as a result, [itex]R_{n}[/itex] converges.

drawar said:
For (i), I agree with you that the convergence of [itex]R_n[/itex] does not imply the convergence of [itex]S_n[/itex] or [itex]T_n[/itex] but it can imply that ([itex]S_n[/itex]+[itex]S_n[/itex]) converges right?
If you replace the second S by a T (typo?), yes.

Btw, I think I may get your point for part (ii), let me just say what I'm thinking: Since [itex]R_{2n}[/itex] = [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex]+[itex]a_{2n}[/itex], it can be deduced that [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex] converges to the same limit as [itex]R_{2n}[/itex], as a result, [itex]R_{n}[/itex] converges.
That was the idea I had in mind, indeed.

1. What is convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to whether or not the values in the series approach a specific limit as more terms are added. If the limit exists and is finite, the series is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the series is said to diverge.

2. How is convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined using various tests, such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and determining if they approach zero or a specific limit as the number of terms increases.

3. What is the importance of convergence of series?

The convergence of series is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to determine the behavior of infinite sequences and to make predictions based on this behavior. It also helps us understand the limits and boundaries of functions and can be used to solve various real-world problems.

4. What are some common types of convergent series?

Some common types of convergent series include geometric series, telescoping series, and p-series. Geometric series have a common ratio between consecutive terms, telescoping series have terms that cancel each other out, and p-series have terms with a power of n in the denominator.

5. Can a series converge to more than one limit?

No, a series can only converge to one limit. If a series converges to more than one limit, it is considered to be divergent. However, it is possible for a series to have no limit at all, in which case it is also considered to be divergent.