1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of Series

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1
    Our instructor assigned a problem from Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis; a problem which I have been unable to solve after giving it good thought.

The statement is:
    "Prove that the convergence of SUM[an] implies the convergence of SUM[sqrt(an)/n], if an >= 0."

The instructor did give us a hint: "Review the ideas of chapter one," from which I gleaned the archimedean property or supremums might be important. Anyway, if anyone is familiar with how this can be proved, I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2
    In case anyone else read this, I have found the solution on the internet. It was embarassingly simple. By the AM-GM inequality:

[tex]a_n + \frac{1}{n^2} \ge 2\frac{\sqrt{a_n}}{n}.[/tex]​

The left hand series converges, so by direct comparison, the right hand series also converges.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  4. Nov 12, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cool, I didn't know of this inequality. What does AM-GM stands for?

5. Nov 13, 2005 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

Harmonic - Geometric - Arithmetic Mean Inequality

AM-GM = Arithmetic Mean - Geometric Mean

In full, the Harmonic - Geometric - Arithmetic Mean inequality is (for sequences)

[tex]\frac{n}{\frac{1}{a_{1}}+\frac{1}{a_{2}}+\cdot\cdot\cdot +\frac{1}{a_{n}}}\leq \left( a_{1}a_{2}\cdot\cdot\cdot a_{n}\right) ^{\frac{1}{n}}\leq \frac{a_{1}+a_{2}\cdot\cdot\cdot + a_{n}}{n}[/tex]

where equality holds iff the [itex]a_{i}[/itex]'s are all equal, and it is understood that [itex]a_{i}\geq 0,\forall i[/itex].

6. Nov 13, 2005 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

Harmonic - Geometric - Arithmetic Mean inequality is (for functions)

Suppose that the real-valued function [tex]f(x)[/tex] is defined, properly integrable, and strictly positive on the interval [tex] \left[ x_{1}, x_{2}\right] [/tex].

Then the Harmonic - Geometric - Arithmetic Mean inequality is (for functions)

[tex] \frac{x_{1} - x_{2}}{\int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} \frac{dx}{f(x)}} \leq \exp\left( \frac{1}{x_{1} - x_{2}}\int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} \log f(x) dx\right) \leq \frac{1}{x_{1} - x_{2}} \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} f(x)dx[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  7. Nov 14, 2005 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Great, I'm noting all of this down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?