1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of the summation

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm give the following summation of functions and I have to see where it converge.
    $$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(3 arcsin x)^n}{\pi^{n + 1}(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Putting ##3 arcsin x = y##, I already see that with the theorem of D'Alambert I have a range ##r = \pi##.
    The summation then converges in the interval:
    $$|3 arcsin x| < \pi$$
    which is
    $$sin(-\frac{\pi}{3}) < x < sin(\frac{\pi}{3})$$
    Now I don't know it the summation converges in the two external points, so I try with the first one and I get:
    $$\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$
    In this case, I decide to use the Leibniz criterion. So first I find if the summation converges to ##0## and then I find if decreases monotonically.
    Doing the limit of the summation (minus the ##(-1)^n##) I get that it converges to ##0##.
    Now, to find out if it decreases monotonically, I do the first derivative of the following:
    $$f(n) = \frac{1}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$
    and I end up with
    $$f'(n) = -\frac{\frac{x}{\sqrt(x^2 + 1)} + 2x}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)^2}$$
    Now I have to put this ##>0## but due to the minus sign it will be ##<0##. The one at the denominator is always positive, so we have to look at only the numerator. We will have then:
    $$\frac{x}{\sqrt(x^2 + 1)} + 2x < 0$$
    But, strangely, I don't get how to continue from here.
    Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##x \mapsto \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+2x## is positive for ##x>0##, negative for ##x<0## and zero at ##x=0##.

4. Jan 7, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do not understand how differentiating f(n) wrt n caused x to appear from nowhere.
    Since 1/n2 converges, it is rather obvious that the sum you have converges at both ends of the range. Is there not a test along those lines?

5. Jan 7, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have ##f(n) = 1/d(n)##, where ##d(n) = \sqrt{n^2+1} + n^2+5## is a strictly increasing function of ##n##. No calculus is needed here: ##n^2## is increasing in ##n##, so ##\sqrt{n^2+1}## is increasing, as is ##n^2+5##. You are just adding two increasing functions.

6. Jan 8, 2017 #5
    Why? How did you do that?

Sorry, my bad! I meant "n" where there was "x".

So it decreases monotonically? This means that both this and the other one for ##\frac{\pi}{3}## converge and so it all converges to the interval ##[-\frac{\pi}{3} , \frac{\pi}{3}]##?

7. Jan 8, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you assume you have convergence at both end points?

8. Jan 8, 2017 #7

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+2x=x \cdot \underbrace{(2+\frac{1}{+\sqrt{x^2+1}})}_{>\,2}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted