1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of Unique Fourier Series

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if my LaTeX looks messed up.

1. Find the Fourier Series for [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{|x|}[/tex] and prove it converges to [tex]f(x)[/tex]

3. So, I've thus far proved that [tex]\sqrt{|x|}[/tex] is piecewise continuous by proving that the limit as x approaches 0 (from both the right and left) for [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{|x|}[/tex] is equal to 0. However, the function fails to be piecewise smooth because its derivative has a vertical tangent and, thus, most of the convergence theorems that I've learned (such as the Fourier series converging to the average of the right and left limits) are inaccessible.

So, I wrote out the Fourier series myself for the arbitrary interval -a < x < a, getting:

For Fourier coefficients, we get:

[tex]a_0 = \frac{1}{2a}\int_{-a}^a \sqrt{|x|} dx = \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{|x|}[/tex]

[tex]a_n = \frac{2}{a}\int_0^a \sqrt{|x|} \cos{(\frac{n\pi x}{a})}[/tex]

[tex]b_n = 0 [/tex](because the function is even)

The Fourier series becomes

[tex]\sqrt{|x|} \approx \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{|x|} + \frac{2}{a}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \int_0^a \sqrt{|z|}\cos{(\frac{n\pi z}{a})} dz \cos{(\frac{n\pi x}{a})}[/tex]

I tried to use a theorem stating that if the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty |a_n| + |b_n| [/tex] converges, then the Fourier series converges uniformly. So, essentially, I must prove
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty |\frac{2}{a}\int_0^a \sqrt{|x|} \cos{(\frac{n\pi x}{a})}|[/tex] converges.

I tried to use an array of traditional convergence tests, but none of them seemed to work.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?