Proving Convergence of Real Number Sequences with Metric Equations

In summary, the problem asks to prove that the given sequence of real numbers converges to p if and only if the distance between p and p_n approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. The first implication is shown through choosing an arbitrary \epsilon and showing that for n>N, the distance between p and p_n is less than \epsilon. The second implication can be shown by a similar argument.
muzak

Homework Statement

Prove that lim[itex]_{n} p_{n}= p[/itex] iff the sequence of real numbers {d{p,p[itex]_{n}[/itex]}} satisfies lim[itex]_{n}[/itex]d(p,p[itex]_{n}[/itex])=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can get the first implication. If [itex]lim_{n} p_{n}[/itex]= p, then we know that d(p,p[itex]_{n}[/itex]) = d(p[itex]_{n}[/itex],p) <[itex] \epsilon[/itex]. Then given [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0 and some N, for n>N we have |d{p,p[itex]_{n}[/itex]-0|<d{p,p[itex]_{n} = d(p_{n},p) < \epsilon[/itex].

I'm having a little trouble with the backwards implication, do I just do what I did up above but backwards sorta? Or should I pick some p[itex]_{n}[/itex] and show that it converges to 0, like 1/n or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are very much on the right track, but your "proofs" are still quite sloppy and it's hard to see whether you're reasoning circularly here.
For example,
I think I can get the first implication. If [itex]lim_{n} p_{n}[/itex]= p, then we know that d(p,p[itex]_{n}[/itex]) = d(p[itex]_{n}[/itex],p) <[itex] \epsilon[/itex].
Actually, you know that for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is an N such that this is true for all n > N.

Maybe it helps if you first write out exactly what you need to prove, in the form:

For all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], I need to prove that ...(if there exists an N such that ... there also exists an N' such that ...)... , and that (the other implication).

What is "Convergence on metric"?

Convergence on metric is a mathematical concept that refers to a sequence of numbers or functions approaching a specific value or function as the number of iterations increases. It is used to determine the behavior or limit of a sequence.

How is "Convergence on metric" different from other types of convergence?

Unlike other types of convergence, such as pointwise convergence, convergence on metric takes into account the behavior of the entire sequence as a whole, rather than just individual points. It is a stronger form of convergence that is used in analysis and topology.

What are some examples of "Convergence on metric"?

Some examples of convergence on metric include the convergence of real numbers to a specific value, the convergence of a sequence of functions to a specific function, and the convergence of a series of numbers to a specific sum.

What are the conditions for "Convergence on metric" to occur?

In order for convergence on metric to occur, the sequence or series must have a well-defined metric space, such as the real or complex numbers, and the sequence or series must satisfy certain properties, such as being Cauchy or monotonic.

How is "Convergence on metric" used in practical applications?

Convergence on metric is used in various fields of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and numerical analysis. It is also used in real-world applications, such as in computer science and engineering, to determine the behavior of algorithms and models as they approach a specific value or function.