1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence on the unit circle

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the behavior of convergence on the unit circle, ie |z| = 1 of:

Ʃ [itex]\frac{z^{n}}{n^{2}(1 - z^{n})}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Obviously this is divergent then z is a root of unity. The question is what happens when z is not a root of unity.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought was originally that it would converge. Now I think it may diverge. To show this I look at
    | [itex]\frac{z^{n}}{n^{2}(1 - z^{n})}[/itex] | = [itex]\frac{1}{n^{2}|1 - z^{n}|}[/itex], since |z| = 1, and show this does not converge to 0 and hence the series must diverge.

now for ε = 1. I want to show that z[itex]^{n}[/itex] will land close enough to 1(for infintely many n) so that
    [itex]\frac{1}{n^{2}|1 - z^{n}|}[/itex] > 1.

or there exists infinitely many n such that [itex]\frac{1}{(|1 - z^{n}|}[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] n[itex]^{2}[/itex]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We know that with |z|=1, z[itex]^{n}[/itex] is dense on the unit circle. Hence for any n there exsists an m that would make
    [itex]\frac{1}{(|1 - z^{m}|}[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] n[itex]^{2}[/itex] true.
    Now can we show the stars will allign and get m to equal n infinitely many times.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?