Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence product theorem

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    While reading the section about algebra of series of Arfken's essential Mathematical Methods for Physicist, I faced an intriguing demonstration of the product convergence theorem concerning an absolutely convergent series [tex]\sum u_n = U[/tex] and a convergent [tex]\sum v_n = V [/tex] . The autor assured that if the difference
    [tex]D_n = \sum_{i=0}^{2n} c_i - U_nV_n,[/tex]
    (where [tex]c_i[/tex] is the Cauchy product of both series and [tex]U_n[/tex] and [tex]V_n[/tex] are partial sums) tends to zero as n goes to infinity, the product series converges.
    The first thing that came in my mind was the Cauchy criterion for convergence, but then I remembered that i and j should be any integer. So I searched through all the net and my books, and didn't find any close idea.
    Where should I search for this? Knopp?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Knopp's book would be one of my first two choices (if you are referring to his big treatise on series). The other is a similar book by Bromwich. I don't have my copy at home so can't give the exact name, but it too is very good.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

5. Dec 19, 2008 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

By Abel's theorem if the sum converges it must converge to UV. So this theorem just combines that with the theorem that if a sequence is Cauchy it must converge. I don't know what the i and j you speak of are. The Bromwich book mentioned by statdad is
    An Introduction To The Theory Of Infinite Series (1908)
    now back in print and downloadable at books.google.com
    http://books.google.com/books?id=ZY...+of+Infinite+Series&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html

see in Bromwich
    Article 33 pages 81-84

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much, statdad and lurflurf. I think that I finally understood what the author wanted to say. The product of series presents us to a dramatically new form of seeing the "tails" of the series. By the way, interesting find this google's books. Sorry for my late reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?