1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convergence proof

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]x_{n\geq}[/tex]0 for all n in the natural numbers.
    If ([tex]x_{n}[/tex])[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0, show that ([tex]\sqrt{x_{n}}[/tex])[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I have started with [tex]\left|\sqrt{x_{n}}-0\right|[/tex]. Not sure if that's the right way to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should probably start with the definition of convergence

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    A sequence converges to a real number a if for every positive [tex]\epsilon[/tex], there exists an N element of the natural numbers such that whenever n[tex]\geq[/tex]N, it follows that [tex]\left|a_{n}-a\right|[/tex]<[tex]\epsilon[/tex].

5. Sep 28, 2010 #4
    [tex] a^{2} \leq b^{2}[/tex] iff [tex] a \leq b[/tex]

[tex] a,b \geq 0[/tex]

Can you use this ?

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    Then the sequence is less than 0 and thus converges to 0

7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
    How did you arrive at such a conclusion? Btw what you said not correct.

How is the sequence less than zero ? In your definition [tex] x_{n} \geq 0[/tex].

8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    so the sequence is greater than 0 because x is greater than 0.

9. Sep 28, 2010 #8
    All I wanted you to do wanted you to do was take the square root of both sides of the inequality...
    [tex] x_{n} < \epsilon [/tex].

10. Sep 28, 2010 #9
    If g(x) --> A when x --> a then p(g(x)) --> p(A) when x --> a.

11. Sep 28, 2010 #10
    Hmm... what if p was the square root function and A was negative. ?

12. Sep 28, 2010 #11
    Well A needs to be in the domain of p for it to make sense. Guess I should have written that..

13. Sep 28, 2010 #12
    It's fine. Btw this theorem is not one of the 4 limit theorems given in most analysis books so I doubt the OP can use it. OP would need to prove it to use it.

14. Sep 28, 2010 #13
    We had 5 limit theorems when I did analysis in first year at uni. The proof is like 3 lines and not harder than the rest so I think it is strange it isn't standard at other places

15. Sep 28, 2010 #14
    I think you are referring to limits of functions not limit theorems. The limit theorems are for sequences and they are later generalized to functions.
    I am taking analysis right now and the thoerem you mentioned is in the limit of functions section

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook