1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence proof

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing some homework from my analysis class. I honestly have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]{a_n}[/itex] be a sequence that converges to 0, and let [itex]{b_n}[/itex] be a sequence. Prove that the sequence [itex]a_n b_n[/itex] converges to 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    If b is the limit of [itex]b_n[/itex] then you can make the terms of [itex]b_n[/itex] as close to b as you want by making n big enough. Also you can make a_n as close to 0 as you like by making n big enough. Now, if [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] you want to make the terms of [itex]a_nb_m[/itex] less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for large enough n. Now, using what I mentioned above, how can you find an n big enough?

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

[itex]a_n=\frac{1}{n}[/itex], [itex]b_n=n^2[/itex]
    [itex]a_n b_n=n[/itex]

[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n=0[/itex]
    [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n b_n \not= 0[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. Sep 20, 2011 #4
    I need the proof using epsilon. The prof. wants description of every step. its a senior level class

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    no idea

7. Sep 20, 2011 #6
    Try looking more closely at what I wrote.

8. Sep 20, 2011 #7
    it shows, it does not converge

9. Sep 20, 2011 #8
    Whoops! I didn't read the problem carefully. Estro is correct; it does not, in general, converge to anything, much less 0. My apologies!

10. Sep 20, 2011 #9

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Did you copy the problem correctly? If you did, whoever made the problem up made an error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook