Factorial Series Convergence: Investigating the Sum of n!/10^n

In summary, the series \sum \frac{n!}{10^n} from n = 1 to infinity is divergent. This is determined by applying the ratio test and finding that the limit of the ratio \frac{n+1}{10} is greater than 1, indicating divergence. While the series may appear to be convergent for smaller values of n, it is the behavior for large n that ultimately determines its convergence or divergence.
Joshk80k

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex]\sum \frac{n!}{10^n}[/tex]

converges or diverges.(Note, I was unsure of how to format this via latex, so the summation is from n = 1 to infinity.)

Homework Equations

The root test:

[tex]|\frac{a_n_+_1}{a_n}|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] a_n=\frac{n!}{10^n},

a_n_+_1\frac{(n+1)!}{10^n^+^1} = \frac{(n+1)n!}{10^n^+^1}[/tex]

Applying the ratio test,

[tex]|\frac{a_n_+_1}{a_n}|= \frac{10^n(n+1)n!}{n!10^n^+^1} [/tex]

Cancelling terms out,

[tex]\frac{n+1}{10} = r[/tex]

Now, I know that if:

r > 1, it is divergent,
r < 1, convergent,
r = 1, inconclusive.

My problem is that I am not sure where to go after this. I still have an "n" in my answer, and I expected to just have a numerical answer.

I was going to just go ahead and say that since n approaches infinity, r is greater than 1, and thus the series is divergent, but I stopped because I realized that from n = 1 to n = 8, the series would be convergent, and worse still, at n = 9, the test would be inconclusive?

So my question is, did I make a mistake somewhere here, or is the ratio test not applicable here for this reason?

Thanks for any feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
Joshk80k said:

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex]\sum \frac{n!}{10^n}[/tex]

(Note, I was unsure of how to format this via latex, so the summation is from n = 1 to infinity.)

converges or diverges.

Homework Equations

The root test:

[tex]|\frac{a_n_+_1}{a_n}|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] a_n=\frac{n!}{10^n},

a_n_+_1\frac{(n+1)!}{10^n^+^1} = \frac{(n+1)n!}{10^n^+^1}[/tex]

Applying the ratio test,

[tex]|\frac{a_n_+_1}{a_n}|= \frac{10^n(n+1)n!}{n!10^n^+^1} [/tex]

Cancelling terms out,

[tex]\frac{n+1}{10} = r[/tex]

Now, I know that if:

r > 1, it is divergent,
r < 1, convergent,
r = 1, inconclusive.

My problem is that I am not sure where to go after this. I still have an "n" in my answer, and I expected to just have a numerical answer.

I was going to just go ahead and say that since n approaches infinity, r is greater than 1, and thus the series is divergent, but I stopped because I realized that from n = 1 to n = 8, the series would be convergent, and worse still, at n = 9, the test would be inconclusive?
It doesn't matter what happens between 1 and 8; you're interested in the behavior for large n. Every finite series converges, since you're just adding a finite number of terms.
Joshk80k said:
So my question is, did I make a mistake somewhere here, or is the ratio test not applicable here for this reason?

Thanks for any feedback!

Alright, so I was right - it diverges.

Thanks very much!

1. What is a convergence test for factorials?

A convergence test for factorials is a method used to determine whether a series involving factorials will converge (approach a finite value) or diverge (approach infinity).

2. How does the ratio test work for factorials?

The ratio test for factorials involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if it is greater than 1, the series diverges; and if it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

3. Can the comparison test be used for factorials?

Yes, the comparison test can be used for factorials. It involves comparing the series in question to a known convergent or divergent series. If the known series converges, then the original series must also converge. If the known series diverges, then the original series must also diverge.

4. What is the limit comparison test for factorials?

The limit comparison test for factorials involves taking the limit of the ratio of the terms in the original series to the terms in a known convergent series. If the limit is a finite, positive value, then the original series converges. If the limit is 0 or infinity, then the original series diverges.

5. When should I use the root test for factorials?

The root test for factorials should be used when the terms in the series are raised to a power, such as in a geometric series. It involves taking the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if it is greater than 1, the series diverges; and if it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.