1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence test

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##P(z) = 1 - \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} - \frac{z^3}{8} + ... ##
    Determine if the series is convergent or divergent if ## |z| = 2 ##, where, ## z## is a complex number.

2. Relevant equations
    ##1+r+r^2+r^3+...+r^{N-1}=\frac{1-r^N}{1-r}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let, ##z = 2 exp (i \theta)##

For the first ##N## terms, the summation is,
    ##P_N (z) = \frac{1-(-1)^N exp(iN\theta)}{1+exp(i \theta)}=\frac{1-(-1)^N \cos (N\theta) - i (-1)^N \sin (N \theta)}{1 + exp (i \theta)}##
    As ## N \rightarrow \infty##, ##\cos (N \theta)## and ## \sin (N \theta)## do not converge to a particular value.
    So, I conclude that the series is not convergent for ## |z|=2##
    But the answer says that the series converges to ##\frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2}}##

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The general term of the series is ##a_n=\frac{(-1)^nz^n}{2^n}##.
    Then, for ##|z|=2##, ##|a_n|=|\frac{z^n}{2^n}|=\frac{|z|^n}{2^n}=1##. How can this series converge if the sequence ##a_n## doesn't converge to 0?

I think you are correct.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your comments. This was an example from 'Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering' by Riley, Hobson and Bence (page 133). This is a very reliable book. I think I lack some important concept here.

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see. They write that it converges for all ##z## with ##|z|=2## except ##z=-2##.
    Let's take ##z=2## then. The series becomes ##1-1+1-1 ...##, so the partial sums alternate between ##0## and ##1##.
    A few lines before this they give an example with the same oscillating series and conclude (correctly in my book) that it doesn't converge:
    limit.jpg

Call me baffled.

6. Jan 28, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\frac{1}{1+ z/2} = (1 + \frac{z}{2})^{-1} = 1 - \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} - \frac{z^3}{8} ... \ (|z| < 2)##

7. Jan 28, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the book claims that this series also converges for all ##z## with ##|z|=2## except ##z=-2##. This is clearly a highly regarded book, but still, I can't see how the series converges when ##|z|=2##.

8. Jan 28, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't. I thought you'd proved that.

9. Jan 28, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought so too, but given the reputation of the book I started to fear I was missing something. Thanks for the second opinion.

It's not you lacking some important concept here. It surely is a reliable book, but on this point you were right and they made a mistake. Happens to the best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted