1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergens of Cesáros mean

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    Convergens of Cesáros mean(Urgent).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to show the following:

(1) Let number sequence be given called [tex]\{\alpha_{n}\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] for which [tex]\alpha_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] where [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

(2) Given a sequence [tex]\{\beta_{n}}\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] which is defined as [tex] \beta_{n}= \frac{\alpha_{1} + \alpha_{2} + \cdots + \alpha_{n}}{n}[/tex]

If (1) is true then [tex] \beta_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] for [tex]n \rightarrow 0[/tex] is likewise true.

3. The attempt at a solution

The definition of convergens says (according to my textbook)

[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists N \in \mathbb{N} \forall n \in \mathbb{N}: n \geq N \Rightarrow |a_{n} - a| < \epsilon[/tex]

If I use that on part 1 of (1) then

[tex]|\alpha_{n} - 0| < \epsilon[/tex] [tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] thus [tex]\alpha_{n}[/tex] converges.

Regarding part (2).

I get the inequality [tex]|\beta_{n}| < \epsilon[/tex] from the definition.

Am I missing something here?

Best Regards
    Beowulf

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tricky part is, [itex]\alpha_k[/itex] can be > [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for k < N. (For example, [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] can be = 1,000,000[itex]\epsilon[/itex].) You need to argue "I can make n arbitrarily large, thus..."

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    Hi an Thank You for Your reply.

I can see if I make n large then epsilon will have to be very small. Is the point that epsilon can only be larger than [itex]\alpha_n[/itex] if n becomes extremly small?

Sincerely Yours
    BeoWulf

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are starting with a given epsilon. The first k alphas may be larger than epsilon, so they'll make a large beta (if n were a constant). You have to see that, then argue: "this is not a problem, because I can make n arbitrarily large, which will make beta_n arbitrarily small."

[itex]\epsilon > \alpha_n[/itex] for n arbitrarily LARGE.

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5
    So the that for any epsilon, if n is arbitrary larger then Beta_n will stay small and will therefore tend to zero? And that is simply the proof?

BR

Beowulf

7. Nov 27, 2007 #6
    Intuition: We are really taking finite means and then letting them go off to infinity. Now, eventually a_n becomes very close to zero and will always stay that close for any n afterwards (this is just convergence). But as we go off into infinity these a_ns get so close to zero, and there are so many of them, that they 'pull most of the mean' towards them.

Anyways, this is a tricky problem. But I'll start you off. Let epsilon>0. Since a_n->0 find N1 that works with epsilon/2. Then for all n>N1

b_n-0=a_1/n+a_2/n+...+a_N1/n + a_(N1+1)/n +...+a_n/n. Now the first N1 sums of b_n go to zero as n->infinity. Hence there exists an N2 such that whenever n>N2 |a_1/n+a_2/n+...+a_N1/n-0|<epsilon/2.

You should be able to finish this off. Man, I should have latexed this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?