1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent or divergent?

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    convergent or divergent??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i took a calc 2 quiz today and had a question on one of the. it's too late to correct what i did, but it's never too late to learn it for the final haha

here is the problem
    they want us to find the sum of the series (below) from 1 to infinity (i dont know how to code it so will try my best to represent it)

inf
    E (-1)^n * n/(3n +1)

i need to find if it is conv or div.
    i jumped straight to test of divergence which states that if the limit of the the function as it approaces infinity of (An) "function" does not approach 0 then it div. i know limit of the
    n/3n+1 is 1/3 so i said that the function diverges but did not know what the (-1)^n did. would that change it any? or was i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: convergent or divergent??

Then look at that test again. Does it say what sign the numbers must be? If I recall correctly, it does not so the (-1)n does not matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook