Convergence and Divergence of the Sequence nsin(npi)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the convergence or divergence of the function nsin(npi) as n approaches infinity. Different methods such as the squeeze theorem and l'Hopital's rule are suggested for solving this problem algebraically. The sequence of values for n=0,1,2,3,... is also examined to find a pattern. The final conclusion is that the given series is divergent.
realism877
I need to find out if this function is convergent or divergent when finding the limit to infiniti.

nsin(npi)

How do I solve this? Do I use the squeeze theorem or lhospital rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evaluate the function in n=0,1,2,3,... Do you see a pattern??

I want to know how to do this algebraically

realism877 said:
I want to know how to do this algebraically

If you follow my hint then you can do it algebraically.

It goes in increments of 180

What is [itex]n*\sin(n*\pi)[/itex] for n=1,2,3,4 ? What is the exact result??

realism877 said:
I need to find out if this function is convergent or divergent when finding the limit to infiniti.

nsin(npi)

How do I solve this? Do I use the squeeze theorem or lhospital rule?
This sereis 1→∞ Ʃnsin (n∏) is equal to 1→∞ Ʃ(-1)^n (n) which is divergent hence given sereis is DIVERGENT

What? Where did you get the sum from? The question was only about the sequence.

realism877, do you not know what [itex]sin(\pi)[/itex], [itex]sin(2\pi)[/itex], [itex]sin(3\pi)[/itex], ... are? Your statement "it goes in increments of 180" implies that you do not, "[itex]\pi[/itex] radians" is the same as "180 degrees" but you should not have to convert to degrees to get this nor should you have to use a calculator. If you have taken a trigonometry or pre-calculus course you should know those "by heart"!

1. What is the difference between convergent and divergent?

Convergent and divergent refer to the behavior of a series or sequence. Convergent means that the series or sequence approaches a finite limit, while divergent means that the series or sequence does not approach a finite limit.

2. How do you determine if a series or sequence is convergent or divergent?

There are various tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series or sequence, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. The specific test used depends on the form of the series or sequence.

3. What is the significance of convergent and divergent series or sequences?

Convergent and divergent series or sequences are important in mathematics and science because they represent different types of mathematical behavior and can provide insights into the behavior of real-world phenomena. Convergent series and sequences are used in calculus, while divergent series and sequences are often used in statistics and data analysis.

4. Can a series or sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series or sequence can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series or sequence is convergent, it cannot be divergent and vice versa. However, some series or sequences may be conditionally convergent, meaning they are convergent but only under certain conditions.

5. How do convergent and divergent series or sequences relate to limits?

Convergent series or sequences approach a finite limit, meaning that the values of the series or sequence get closer and closer to a single value. Divergent series or sequences do not have a finite limit, meaning that the values do not approach a single value and can instead approach infinity or oscillate. Therefore, the concept of limits is closely related to the convergence and divergence of series and sequences.