1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent sequence?

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    I found this in another threat
    however i do not know wat he means by convergent sequences. Is something like when u trying to take the limit at an ASYMPTOTE of a fuction? i know that the limit doesnt not exist( or goes to infinitive i cannot recall) is that wat he means by convergent sequence?

Let f:I->R and let c in I. I want to negate the statements: "f has limit L at c" and "f is continuous at c". Are these correct?

f does not have limit L at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-L|>e for every n.

f is not continuous at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-f(c)|>e for every n.

edit: also, what is the negation of "f has a limit at c"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    the negation of "f has a limit at c" is "f does not have a limit at c". (meaning there is no L such that blah blah)

for the one about the sequence f is not continuous at c if for some x in I, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x) \neq f(c)[/tex]. that is.... well you know the definiton of limit, & if not it's in your book. of course if there's one x where f isn't continuous then if isn't continuous on the domain.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?