Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent sequence?

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    I found this in another threat
    however i do not know wat he means by convergent sequences. Is something like when u trying to take the limit at an ASYMPTOTE of a fuction? i know that the limit doesnt not exist( or goes to infinitive i cannot recall) is that wat he means by convergent sequence?

Let f:I->R and let c in I. I want to negate the statements: "f has limit L at c" and "f is continuous at c". Are these correct?

f does not have limit L at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-L|>e for every n.

f is not continuous at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-f(c)|>e for every n.

edit: also, what is the negation of "f has a limit at c"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    the negation of "f has a limit at c" is "f does not have a limit at c". (meaning there is no L such that blah blah)

for the one about the sequence f is not continuous at c if for some x in I, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x) \neq f(c)[/tex]. that is.... well you know the definiton of limit, & if not it's in your book. of course if there's one x where f isn't continuous then if isn't continuous on the domain.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?