Proving Convergence: Showing That x_n and y_n Have the Same Limit

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if x_n is a convergent sequence, then the sequence given by the average values y_n also converges to the same limit. The person suggests defining the limit of x_n as L and using the definition of a limit to show that |y_n - L| is less than epsilon for every epsilon greater than 0. They also mention manipulating the sum and using a specific value N to prove that y_n is less than epsilon.
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex] x_n [/itex] is a convergent sequence, then the sequence given by that average values also converges to the same limit.
[itex] y_n=\frac{x_1+x_2+x_3+...x_n}{n} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I say that [itex] x_n [/itex] converges to some number P. so now I need to show that
[itex] y_n [/itex] converges to P as well.
Do I need to show that [itex] y_n-P< \epsilon [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That's exactly what you need to show. Got any ideas?

so [itex] x_n [/itex] is my nth term right, and also what the limit converges to.
So [itex] x_n=P [/itex]
So I should have[itex] (x_1+x_2+x_3+...P)=Pn [/itex] maybe I can work on manipulating the sum and see if certain parts are less than other parts.

Let me give you a hint:

Define the limit of [itex]x_n[/itex] to be L then there is (for every epsilon>0) a N such that for [itex] n > N [/itex]

[tex]|x_n-L|< \epsilon [/tex]

Now we get:

[tex] \left| \frac{x_1+x_2+x_3+...+x_n}{n} -\frac{nL}{n} \right| = \frac{|x_1-L| +|x_2-L| +...+|x_n-L|}{n} =\frac{|x_1-L| +|x_2-L| +...+|x_N-L| + |x_{N+1}-L|+...+|x_n-L|} {n} < \frac{|x_1-L| +|x_2-L| +...+|x_N-L|}{n} + \frac{(n-N)}{n} \epsilon < ...[/tex]

Can you fill in the dots at the end?

What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, as we keep adding more terms to the sequence, the values get closer and closer to a specific number.

How can you tell if a sequence is convergent?

A sequence is convergent if the difference between consecutive terms becomes smaller and smaller as we move towards infinity. This means that the terms in the sequence are getting closer and closer to each other, indicating that the sequence is approaching a finite limit.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

The main difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence is that a convergent sequence approaches a finite limit, while a divergent sequence does not. In a divergent sequence, the terms either increase or decrease without approaching a specific value.

What is the importance of convergent sequences?

Convergent sequences have several applications in mathematics and science. They are used to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly. They also play a crucial role in calculus, where the concept of limits is used to define derivatives and integrals.

How is the limit of a convergent sequence calculated?

The limit of a convergent sequence can be calculated by finding the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. This can be done by using various methods, such as the squeeze theorem or the ratio test.