1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent sequences: if {an} converges and {an + bn} converges, prove {bn} converges

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose {an}n=1 and {bn}n=1 are sequences such that {an}n=1 and {an + bn }n=1 converge.

Prove that {bn}n=1 converges.

2. Relevant equations

The definition of convergence.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am pretty new to mathematics that requires proof, so excuse me if I do something really stupid... but basically, is this a sufficient proof?

1. Assume {an}n=1 converges to A (by hypothesis).

Then for ε/2 > 0 there is a positive integer N1 such that if n ≥ N1, then |an - A| < ε/2.​

2. Assume that {an + bn }n=1 converges to A + B (by hypothesis).

Then for ε > 0 there is a positive integer N = max{N1, N2} such that if n ≥ N, then | (an + bn) - (A + B) | < ε​

3. | (an + bn) - (A + B) | = | (an - A) + (bn - B) | < ε

4. Since by hypothesis |an - A| < ε/2, then

| (an - A) - (an - A) + (bn - B) | < ε - ε/2

| (bn - B) | < ε/2

if n ≥ N2 for some positive integer N2.​

5. But this is the definition of convergence, therefore {bn}n=1 converges (to B).

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Convergent sequences: if {an} converges and {an + bn} converges, prove {bn} conve

You never actually say what N2 is.

Also, if a+b<e and a<e/2 that doesn't give you that b<e/2, so I'm not sure where that final inequality comes from. Subtracting [tex]|a_n-A|[/tex] from the left hand side does not allow you to just move it inside the absolute value sign; and subtracting |a_n-A| from the right hand side, you can't replace it with [tex]\epsilon/2[/tex] and maintain the same inequality, since that makes the right hand side smaller, not larger

As a fast way to see a lot of results like this, once you have the standard summation and multiplication rules, you can use

[tex]b_n=(a_n+b_n)-a_n[/tex] and use what you know about the summation of sequences

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  4. Sep 22, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Convergent sequences: if {an} converges and {an + bn} converges, prove {bn} conve

There's a problem in step 4 of the attempt. It doesn't follow from

| (an - A) + (bn - B) | < ε

that

| (an - A) - (an - A) + (bn - B) | < ε - ε/2

It's like saying |1-1.9|=0.9 < 1 so |1-1-1.9| < 1-1=0.

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

This looks okay, why not look at the algebra of limits? if [tex]a_{n}+b_{n}\rightarrow b}[/tex] and [tex]a_{n}\rightarrow a[/tex] then the sequence [tex]b_{n}=a_{n}+b_{n}-a_{n}\rightarrow b-a[/tex]

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5

Thanks everyone. I'm clearly missing something in the understanding of this material, so I'll take what you've said this weekend and dig through the book and see if I can spot the misunderstanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook