1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent Sequences

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let (X,d) be a metric space with two sequences [itex] (x_n), (y_n) [/itex] which converge to values of a,b respectively. Show that

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} d(x_n,y_n) = d(a,b) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] (x_n) \rightarrow a \Leftrightarrow \forall \epsilon >0 \quad \exists n_0 \in \mathbb{N} \text{ such that } \forall n>n_0 \quad d(x_n,a)< \epsilon [/tex]

[tex] d(x,z) \leq d(x,y) + d(y,z) \quad \forall x,y,z \in X [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This seems like it should be a fairly easy question, but I don't have much analysis in my background. I attempted to proceed as follows:

Since [itex] d:X\times X \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex], it is sufficient to show that [itex] \forall \epsilon >0 \quad \exists n\in \mathbb{N} \text{ such that } |d(x_n,y_n) - d(a,b)|< \epsilon [/itex]. So let [itex] \epsilon >0 [/itex] and [itex] n' = max\{ n_0, n_1 \} [/itex] where [itex] n_0, n_1 [/itex] are natural numbers which satisfy the individual convergence properties for [itex] (x_n),(y_n)[/itex]. Let [itex] n>n' [/itex] giving

[tex] |d(x_n,y_n) - d(a,b) | &=& |d(x_n,y_n) + d(x_n,b) - d(x_n,b) - d(a,b)|

\leq |d(y_n,b) - d(x_n,a)|

< |\epsilon - \epsilon|

\leq \epsilon[/tex]

But I'm really not sure about the [itex] |\epsilon - \epsilon| \leq \epsilon [/itex] line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if 0<=e1<=e and 0<=e2<=e then |e1-e2|<=e. That's what you really mean by |e-e|<=e, right?
  4. May 19, 2008 #3
    Yes, that was my thought process.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?