1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convergent Series

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is this series convergent for all real x:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{k=2}[/tex][tex]\frac{sin(kx)}{ln(k)}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

This series is less than

[tex]\frac{1}{ln(2)}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{k=2}[/tex]sin(kx)

which is less than [tex]\frac{\pi}{x ln2}[/tex]. So, the series is bounded for all x. I'm thinking that the Dirichlet Test would show that this series converges.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Er, but sin(kx) doesn't converge to zero as k goes to infinity.

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    But the sum of the sin(kx) would still be bounded, right?

If you mean the sum of sin(kx), I found that it was less than 2pi/x in this way:

Consider the interval [0,2pi] with x in this interval. Then there are at most 2pi/x terms, with some of them being < 0. Since sin(y) <= 1 for all y, we have that the sum of the |sin(kx)| < 2pi/x.

Since the partial sums of sin(kx) is bounded and 1/ln(k) is a nonincreasing nullsequence, would this mean that the the series converges by Dirichlet's Test?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. Jul 13, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sum you wrote is over all k, not just those k for which [itex]0 \leq kx \leq 2\pi[/itex].

If x is not a rational multiple of 2pi, I'm not sure if I expect the sequence of partial sums of sin(kx) to be bounded or not. But if that sequence is bounded, then your argument is valid.

6. Jul 14, 2010 #5
    Take a look at Example 1, under corollary 6, in this PDF: http://people.oregonstate.edu/~peterseb/mth311/docs/311abel.pdf [Broken]

And yes you're right, [tex] \sum sin(kx) [/tex] is bounded.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook