1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converges or diverges?

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Ok, so the problem is [(3^-n)+(n^-1)] and I have to determine if it converges are diverges. from n=1 to inf. The problem is that individually I know that the 3^-n should converge and that n^-1 should diverge. But I don't understand what happens when your taking the series of the two combines. I think it would diverge, because of the n^-1, but I don;t know what test to prove it or if I even have the right idea. If anyone has any suggestions of a test to do, I tried the root test but found it to be 1 which is inconclusive, and I dont know where to go with this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    You know that 1/n diverges from the integral test, and that 3-n is only making the sum bigger, so it diverges.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    Thank you so much. I just wasn't sure if you could do that.

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

To firm this up, if [tex] a_n = e^{-n} + n^{-1} [/tex] and [tex] b_n = n^{-1} [/tex].
    you can use the comparison test to show that [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n [/tex] diverges.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, it would have been clearer if you had stated from the start that the question was whether or not the series [itex]e^{-n}+n^{-1}[/itex] converges. Of course, the sequence obviously converges to 0 so everyone assumed you mean "series" but it was ambiguous which you meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook