1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging Diverging Nozzle problem

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Air flows through a symmetric converging-diverging nozzle where the cross-sectional area of the nozzle (in meters^2) varies accoding to the relationship:

A(x) = 1.0 - 0.8X +.80X^(2) ; where X is in meters and the nozzle is 1 meter long.

P2/P1 = .90 (there is subsonic inflow) A normal shock also occurs near the exit.

A) Determine the inflow and outflow mach numbers
    B) The stagnation pressure ratio across the normal shock
    C)The X location of the shock (in meter) from the inflow to the normal shock.

2. Relevant equations

I have been using the isentropic and normal shock tables to solve this problem which involve ratios of pressures, areas, and temperature.

3. The attempt at a solution

I assume Mach number at the throat will be 1
    Mth (throat) = 1
    L =1
    Area of the throat: X=0.5
    A(x) = 1.0-0.8(.5) + 0.8(.5^(2)) = 0.8
    Throat area: 0.8 = A*

Area of the inlet = 1 = A1

A1/A* = 1.25
    From this I find the Mach number at the inlet equal to .5533
    M1 = .5533

I honestly need help with only finding the Mach numbers at the inlet and exit. I'm a little confused due to the equation for finding the area given. I could really really use some help. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?