1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging diverging nozzle

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    i just started reading about nozzles and turbines in my semester course. i went through converging diverging nozzles. for achieving a supersonic flow, a converging diverging nozzle is used. now a converging section will work as a nozzle only till the flow is subsonic and a diffuser at supersonic flow. that means the maximum velocity obtainable in converging section is speed of sound in the same medium.
    also dA/A = [M^2 - 1]dV/V, at Mach 1, section ll not alter the speed of flow.
    now consider a converging diverging section. suppose mach 1 is reached at the throat, at mach 1, section ll not alter the speed of flow, then why would the flow become supersonic in the diverging section. i am a little confused about this. since no part of stream can go over mach 1 in converging section, diverging section should act as a diffuser, right?? apparently i am wrong, but i dont know where..
    also i was wondering what effect the shape of section might have, i mean concavity or convexity of the nozzle

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A properly designed CD nozzle will have it's throat at M=1. Compressible theory is where the divergent part starts to work. There are a few funny things that happen because of it. The acceleration of a flow in a divergent section is one of them. Keep reading!

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/nozzle.html

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?