Does the series ∑[n=1,∞) sin4n / 4^n converge or diverge?

• Thread starter Rossinole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the series ∑[n=1,∞) sin4n / 4^n converges or diverges. The Ratio Test is used to analyze the series, and it is replaced with the Root Test to find the limit of (sin(4n+1)/sin(4n)). It is determined that the limit does not work out and the Root Test may be more useful in this case.
Rossinole

Homework Statement

Does the series ∑[n=1,∞) sin4n / 4^n converge or diverge?

[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]

Ratio Test

lim n->∞ | a_n+1 / a_n |

The Attempt at a Solution

By Ratio Test.

Let a_n = sin(4n) / 4^n

So,

lim n->∞ | (sin (4n+1) / 4^n+1) / (sin 4n / 4^n) |

Skipping a few steps..

= | (sin(4n+1)/sin(4n)) * (4^n)/(4^n * 4^1) |

= 1/4 * lim n->∞ (sin(4n+1)/sin(4n))

Here's my problem. How do I take the limit of (sin(4n+1)/sin(4n))? Did I do the whole problem wrong? Should I have used Root test?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the limit works out, as both sines will keep on oscillating, it's just like an ordinary sine in that respect. I think you will find the root test more useful, as you suggested.

Thank you, I will try that.

What is a converging series?

A converging series is a mathematical series in which the sum of all its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

What is a diverging series?

A diverging series is a mathematical series in which the sum of all its terms increases without bound as the number of terms increases.

How do you determine if a series is converging or diverging?

To determine if a series is converging or diverging, you can use various tests such as the divergence test, comparison test, ratio test, or integral test.

What is the difference between a converging and diverging series?

The main difference between a converging and diverging series is that the sum of all terms in a converging series approaches a finite value, while the sum of all terms in a diverging series increases without bound.

Why are converging and diverging series important in mathematics?

Converging and diverging series are important in mathematics because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of infinite sequences and to approximate real-life phenomena with mathematical models.