What is the area of the sun's image on the paper?

In summary, the camper is using a converging lens with a focal length of 10.8 cm to focus sunlight onto a piece of paper. By using the "thin lens" formula, the camper was able to find the height of the sun's image on the paper and calculate the area of the image. This allowed them to determine the intensity of the sunlight at the paper by using the formula I=P/A.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A camper is trying to start a fire by focusing sunlight onto a piece of paper. The diameter of the sun is 1.39e9 m, and its mean distance from the Earth is 1.50e11 m. The camper is using a converging lens whose focal length is 10.8 cm.
(a) What is the area of the sun's image on the paper?
(b) If 0.568 W of sunlight passes through the lens, what is the intensity of the sunlight at the paper?

Homework Equations

(a) A=.25*pi*(height of sun's image)^2 and m=-di/do
(b) I=P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

B should not be an issue if I can find A. I do not know how to find the height of the sun's image.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try 1/f = 1/do + 1/di

This is the "thin lens" formula. You'll use it a lot when studying lenses. You might want to commit it to memory.

collinsmark said:
Try 1/f = 1/do + 1/di

This is the "thin lens" formula. You'll use it a lot when studying lenses. You might want to commit it to memory.

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate your quick response! :smile: That is one of the main formulas that we use.

I managed to solve the problem by taking the focal length over the distance Earth to sun and then multiplying that by the diameter of the sun.
(.108/ 1.5E-11) * 1.39E9= h
then taking pi/4 * h^2 =A

My problem before was that I was using 10.8 instead.

What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens. It is designed to bend light rays towards a focal point, causing the rays to converge and form an image.

How does a converging lens work?

A converging lens works by refracting, or bending, light rays as they pass through the lens. The shape of the lens causes the light rays to converge towards a focal point, where they create an image.

What is the focal point of a converging lens?

The focal point of a converging lens is the point where all the light rays converge after passing through the lens. It is the point where a sharp image is formed.

Can a converging lens be used to start a fire using sunlight?

Yes, it is possible to start a fire using a converging lens and sunlight. The lens can concentrate the sunlight onto a small spot, which can reach high temperatures and ignite objects.

What are some common uses of a converging lens?

Converging lenses have a wide range of applications, including in cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. They are also used in corrective lenses for vision correction and in laser technology.