Converging Lens Magnification Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a person looking at a gem using a converging lens with a focal length of 15.0 cm. The lens forms a virtual image 26.0 cm from the lens. The person is asked to determine the magnification, but their answer of -0.733 is marked wrong. The expert summarizer suggests checking the sign convention, as "q" for a virtual image is negative. The person apologizes for their mistake and thanks the expert for the welcome.
soccerjayl
What am I missing here?

A person looks at a gem using a converging lens with a focal length of 15.0 cm. The lens forms a virtual image 26.0 cm from the lens. Determine the magnification.

(1/p)+(1/q) = (1/f)
p=?
q=26 cm
f=15 cm

(1/15)-(1/26)= Ans^-1 = 35.5 cm (p)

Magnification= -(q/p)
M= -(26/35.5)
M= -0.733

Answer [-.733] has been marked wrong. What did I do?

Science news on Phys.org
check your sign convention

soccerjayl said:
(1/p)+(1/q) = (1/f)
p=?
q=26 cm
f=15 cm
Your sign convention is incorrect. "q" for a virtual image is negative.

Welcome to PF, by the way.

whoa thanks

i apologize, i knew that...just dumb tonight

thanks for the welcome

1. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens, also known as a convex lens, is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle than at the edges. It is used to bend and focus light rays, creating a magnified image.

2. What is the magnification formula for a converging lens?

The magnification formula for a converging lens is M = -v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance.

3. How do I calculate the focal length of a converging lens?

The focal length of a converging lens can be calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/v + 1/u, where f is the focal length, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance.

4. What is the difference between real and virtual images in a converging lens?

A real image is formed when light rays from an object converge and can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the lens and cannot be projected onto a screen. In a converging lens, real images are formed when the object is placed beyond the focal length, and virtual images are formed when the object is placed within the focal length.

5. How does the position of an object affect the magnification in a converging lens?

The position of an object directly affects the magnification in a converging lens. If the object is placed closer to the lens, the magnification will be greater, while if the object is placed farther away, the magnification will be smaller. The magnification is also affected by the focal length of the lens.