How Effective Is Peer Support in Solving Homework Problems?

• Thread starter Aikenfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation involves finding the value of "o" in the lens equation using the given values of "i" and "f". The correct value of "o" is 10.2765.
Aikenfan

Homework Statement

006.jpg

If anyone can help me, i would really appreciate it! thanks:smile:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
would i do:
15.5^-1 - 2.96^-1
Ans^-1

i does not equal 2.96. You've just dropped a variable, you can't do that. If M = -i/o, then i = -M*o, right? Remember there should be a negative sign in the magnification equation when you are dealing with object and image distances. Now you know what i is in terms of o, so using the lens equation and a little algebra you can solve for o.

1/15.5 = 1/2.96*o + 1/o

Im sorry i believe i typed that wrong the first time, i forgot the "o" after 2.96
do i find the common denominator, i am not sure what to do

Last edited:
Aikenfan said:
1/15.5 = 1/2.96*o + 1/o

Im sorry i believe i typed that wrong the first time, i forgot the "o" after 2.96
do i find the common denominator, i am not sure what to do

You are still forgetting the negative sign in the M equation. To find "o", you can just take it out so you will have (1/o)*(1-(1/2.96)) on the right side of the lens equation. You can then cross multiply to solve for "o".

Once you get your answer for "o", find "i". You can put them both back into the lens equation and check if they are right, since you were given f.

so o is equal to 0.663?

Last edited:
No, you're not quite finished yet. You should be at (1/15.5) = (1/o)*(0.663). Now you must isolate "o" and solve for it. You can just cross multiply, since what you have is the same as (1/15.5)=(0.663/o). Do you see what I mean?

when i cross multiply, i get:
15.5 (0.663)
=
does that look correct?

Last edited:
Yes, I think that looks OK.

1. What subjects do you offer help with for homework?

As a scientist, I specialize in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. However, I am also well-versed in various other subjects and can provide assistance with any homework related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).

2. How can you help me with my homework?

I can provide guidance and support for any questions or concepts that you may be struggling with. I can also offer explanations, examples, and additional resources to help you better understand the material. Additionally, I can review and provide feedback on completed assignments to ensure accuracy and understanding.

3. How will you communicate with me while helping with my homework?

I am available to communicate through various mediums such as email, video calls, and online messaging platforms. We can discuss and decide on the best method of communication that works for both of us.

4. How much do you charge for your homework help services?

My rates for homework help vary depending on the subject, complexity of the assignment, and the amount of assistance needed. However, I strive to provide affordable and fair pricing for my services. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss specific pricing for your homework help needs.

5. Can I trust your help with my homework?

As a scientist, I value integrity and accuracy in all aspects of my work. You can trust that I will provide honest and reliable help with your homework. My goal is to help you understand the material and improve your knowledge and skills in the subject.