Help Solve Lens Projector Distance Puzzle!

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a converging lens with a focal length of 25 cm to create a slide projector. The question is how far the lens should be from the transparency in order to project the image onto a screen 10m away. The solution involves using the formula 1/s + 1/1000cm = 1/25cm and solving for s, resulting in a distance of 25.64 cm. There is some confusion about whether the answer should be 25.64 cm or 3.9 mm.
cuddlylover
I have this in my home work and i am not 100% on if i have it right or not

A converging lens with a focal length of 25 cm is used to make a slide projector. If the image is to be projected onto a screen 10m away, how far should the lens be located from the transparency?

I did it like this:

1/s + 1/1000cm = 1/25cm

solve for s

1/s = 1/25cm - 1/1000cm
∴ s = 25.64cm (2dp)

Is this right or am i way off. If some one could help would be a big help thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or should it be 3.9mm i am a bit lost here i think lol.

Looks OK to me.

cuddlylover said:
Or should it be 3.9mm i am a bit lost here i think lol.
Where did you get that value?

I posted this somewhere else and someone posted that but could not see how they got to it :)

What is the "Help Solve Lens Projector Distance Puzzle!"?

The "Help Solve Lens Projector Distance Puzzle!" is a scientific challenge that involves determining the optimal distance between a lens and a projector in order to achieve a clear and focused image.

Why is this puzzle important?

This puzzle is important because it helps to understand the principles of optics and light, which have many practical applications in fields such as photography, cinematography, and engineering.

What factors affect the optimal distance between a lens and a projector?

The optimal distance between a lens and a projector is affected by the focal length of the lens, the size of the projector's image, and the type of lens used (e.g. convex, concave, etc.). Other factors such as ambient lighting and the quality of the lens and projector can also play a role.

How can this puzzle be solved?

This puzzle can be solved by using mathematical equations and principles of optics to calculate the optimal distance between the lens and projector. Experimentation and trial and error may also be necessary to achieve the best results.

What are some real-world applications of solving this puzzle?

Understanding the principles of optics and solving this puzzle can have practical applications in fields such as photography, cinematography, and engineering, where clear and focused images are crucial. It can also be useful in determining the placement of projectors in large-scale events, such as concerts or presentations.