1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging lens

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    A bright object is placed on one sid eof a converging lens of focal length f, and a white screen for viewing the image is on the opposite side. The distance [tex]d_T = d_i + d_0 [/tex] between the object and the screen is kept fixed, but the lens can be moved.

Show that if [tex]d_t > 4f[/tex] , there will be two positions where the lens can be placed and a sharp image can be produced on the screen.
    And if [tex]d_t < 4f [/tex], no lens position where a shakrp image is formed.
    Also determine a formula for the distance b/w the two lens position,and the ratio of the image sizes.

the attachement is the work that i was trying figure out how to do it. but i dont seem to know how to tackle this problem

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll need to do some rearranging of equations and plugging in, try finding dt as a function of f.

4. Apr 17, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the lens equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{o} [/tex]

since S = i + o (S = object to screen distance):

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{S-i} [/tex]

This gives you a quadratic equation in terms of i. Solve that using the quadratic formula and you should get two solutions for i:

[tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex]

AM

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  5. Apr 17, 2005 #4
    after [tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{S-i} [/tex] , I have [tex] f = \frac{si - i^2}{s} [/tex] , and then i set the equation equals to zero: [tex] i^2 + fs - si = 0 [/tex], but i dont get how you can solve for i from [tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex].

6. Apr 17, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you can't solve for i unless you know S. But that is not what the question asks.

What is the condition for i to be real? What is the condition for i to have 2 real values?

AM

7. Apr 17, 2005 #6
    for i to be real and have two solutions, [tex]\sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}[/tex] must be greater than 0.
    So, [tex] s^2 - 4sf > 0 [/tex]

[tex] s^2 > 4sf [/tex]
    [tex] s > 4f [/tex] and we set [tex] s = i + o [/tex] before, so we get the answer for the first two questiosn.

But I don't know how you can get [tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex], from [tex] i^2 + fs - si = 0 [/tex]

8. Apr 17, 2005 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is just the quadratic formula. The general quadratic equation:

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

has solutions:

[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

In this case, a = 1, b = -S, c = sf

AM

9. Apr 18, 2005 #8
    AHAHHAHHAHAHA. I feel myself really stupid now....can't even find the coeiffient term of a quadratic equation!

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That happens during exam time! Ease up .. it was a bit of a tricky question.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?