Converging lens

• Thread starter leolaw
  • Start date
A bright object is placed on one sid eof a converging lens of focal length f, and a white screen for viewing the image is on the opposite side. The distance [tex]d_T = d_i + d_0 [/tex] between the object and the screen is kept fixed, but the lens can be moved.

Show that if [tex]d_t > 4f[/tex] , there will be two positions where the lens can be placed and a sharp image can be produced on the screen.
And if [tex]d_t < 4f [/tex], no lens position where a shakrp image is formed.
Also determine a formula for the distance b/w the two lens position,and the ratio of the image sizes.

the attachement is the work that i was trying figure out how to do it. but i dont seem to know how to tackle this problem

Attachments

Answers and Replies

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You'll need to do some rearranging of equations and plugging in, try finding dt as a function of f.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
leolaw said:
A bright object is placed on one sid eof a converging lens of focal length f, and a white screen for viewing the image is on the opposite side. The distance [tex]d_T = d_i + d_0 [/tex] between the object and the screen is kept fixed, but the lens can be moved.

Show that if [tex]d_t > 4f[/tex] , there will be two positions where the lens can be placed and a sharp image can be produced on the screen.
And if [tex]d_t < 4f [/tex], no lens position where a shakrp image is formed.
Also determine a formula for the distance b/w the two lens position,and the ratio of the image sizes.

the attachement is the work that i was trying figure out how to do it. but i dont seem to know how to tackle this problem
From the lens equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{o} [/tex]

since S = i + o (S = object to screen distance):

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{S-i} [/tex]

This gives you a quadratic equation in terms of i. Solve that using the quadratic formula and you should get two solutions for i:

[tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
after [tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{S-i} [/tex] , I have [tex] f = \frac{si - i^2}{s} [/tex] , and then i set the equation equals to zero: [tex] i^2 + fs - si = 0 [/tex], but i dont get how you can solve for i from [tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex].

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
leolaw said:
after [tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{i} + \frac{1}{S-i} [/tex] , I have [tex] f = \frac{si - i^2}{s} [/tex] , and then i set the equation equals to zero: [tex] i^2 + fs - si = 0 [/tex], but i dont get how you can solve for i from [tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex].
Well, you can't solve for i unless you know S. But that is not what the question asks.

What is the condition for i to be real? What is the condition for i to have 2 real values?

AM

for i to be real and have two solutions, [tex]\sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}[/tex] must be greater than 0.
So, [tex] s^2 - 4sf > 0 [/tex]

[tex] s^2 > 4sf [/tex]
[tex] s > 4f [/tex] and we set [tex] s = i + o [/tex] before, so we get the answer for the first two questiosn.

But I don't know how you can get [tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex], from [tex] i^2 + fs - si = 0 [/tex]

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
leolaw said:
for i to be real and have two solutions, [tex]\sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}[/tex] must be greater than 0.
So, [tex] s^2 - 4sf > 0 [/tex]

[tex] s^2 > 4sf [/tex]
[tex] s > 4f [/tex] and we set [tex] s = i + o [/tex] before, so we get the answer for the first two questiosn.

But I don't know how you can get [tex]i = \frac{S \pm \sqrt{S^2 - 4Sf}}{2}[/tex], from [tex] i^2 + fs - si = 0 [/tex]
That is just the quadratic formula. The general quadratic equation:

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

has solutions:

[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

In this case, a = 1, b = -S, c = sf

AM

Andrew Mason said:
That is just the quadratic formula. The general quadratic equation:

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

has solutions:

[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

In this case, a = 1, b = -S, c = sf

AM
AHAHHAHHAHAHA. I feel myself really stupid now....can't even find the coeiffient term of a quadratic equation!

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
leolaw said:
AHAHHAHHAHAHA. I feel myself really stupid now....can't even find the coeiffient term of a quadratic equation!
That happens during exam time! Ease up .. it was a bit of a tricky question.

AM