1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging sequence

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the sequence a1=1; an+1 = sqrt(an + 12) for all n> or =1 converges.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the sequence is growing, and that this means that an+1 > an for all n> or = 1, but I have no clue how to show this. Anyone got any hints?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2
    Well, you should know that a bounded monotone sequence converges.
    You've shown it's monotone-- hence, all you have to show is that it's bounded.
    You can show using induction that it's bounded above by 4. (If you want to see why, note [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_n = lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_{n+1}[/tex])
    EDIT: Oh, you haven't shown that it's monotone..
    Well, [tex]a_{n+1}>a_{n}[/tex] implies [tex]\sqrt{a_{n} + 12}>a_{n}[/tex]
    Which is equivalent to:
    [tex]a_{n}+12 > a_{n}^2[/tex], or [tex]a_{n}^2-a_{n}-12<0[/tex].
    Now, complete the square. And note that:
    [tex]y^2<x[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]-\sqrt{x}<y<\sqrt{x}[/tex] whenever [tex]x>0[/tex].

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The limit of the sequence is likely to satisfy L=sqrt(L+12). Do you see why? Can you find the limit? To show it's increasing just means showing sqrt(x+12)>x for the region of interest. Finally you'll want to show your sequence is bounded above. I.e. if a_n<L, then a_(n+1)<L.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4
    Uhm, I think I made a mistake. Sorry for that. In fact I don't know whether the sequence is monotonously increasing or decreasing, so I don't know if [tex]a_{n+1}>a_{n}[/tex]; I need to show if this is so or not. So, where should I start? I really don't have any clue, since I'm fairly new to this.

6. Sep 17, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a_n=x, then a_(n+1)=sqrt(x+12). You want to show sqrt(x+12)>x. Since a_1=1, you really only need to worry about x>=1. And if you try to find the possible limit first, you don't have to worry about large values of x either.

7. Sep 17, 2007 #6
    Here's what I've done so far: I solved L=sqrt(L+12) as you said, and got two possible limits: -3 and 4. But since -3=/=sqrt(9), the limit has to be 4. This implies that if the sequence is converging, and its limit is 4, [tex]a_{n+1}>a_{n}[/tex]. Using Pseudo Statistic's hints, this in turn yields the result -3 <an< 4. Have I now shown that the sequence is increasing monotonously, or are there more steps?

8. Sep 17, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said, you now want to show that sqrt(x+12)>x for x in the range [1,4). That would show it's increasing. You also want to show it's bounded above by 4. For x in that range can you show sqrt(x+12)<4?

9. Sep 17, 2007 #8
    I think I can see that it is increasing, but if there's more to it than just stating that sqrt(x+12)>x if 1<x<4, then I'm lost. Pretty frustrating, to be honest.

I'll think about this as soon as I'm done with the above. Thanks!

10. Sep 17, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But there isn't any more to it than that! On what intervals is the function sqrt(x+12)-x positive?

11. Sep 17, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, I see. You are worried about bounded. That's just on what intervals is 4-sqrt(x+12) positive. They are both just simple algebra problems. Don't get discouraged!

12. Sep 17, 2007 #11
    Thanks for your help Dick, it's highly appreciated! I have to go to sleep now, but as I said I'm new to this, so maybe I'll have more questions tomorrow (although I really hope not ;)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?