Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converse of the CPT theorem

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    In its standard formulation, the CPT theorem says that any local Lorentz-covariant quantum field theorem will be CPT-invariant. What of the theorem's converse? I would suspect CPT-invariance alone would be too weak to guarantee locality and Lorentz-covariance, but are there perhaps additional restrictions that, combined with CPT-invariance, will do so? I've tried looking through some of the literature, but I can't find any analysis of this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

DarMM

Science Advisor

The converse is not true. There are relativistic quantum theories obeying CPT-invariance that are not field theories.

In relation to the second question, CPT-invariance and certain restrictions on the observables basically imply that all observables are functions of local Lorentz-invariant field operators.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you. Do you know of a text or paper where I can read more on your second comment? I'd like to understand exactly what is necessary for implying Lorentz covariance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook