Converting mV to Joules: How to Calculate?

• Thread starter questions_uk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the conversion of a reading in mV to Joules using a given conversion factor of 9.29 V/J. The process involves dividing the mV value by 1000 and then dividing by 9.29 V/J. However, it is important to note that Volts and Joules are not the same units and cannot be directly converted.
questions_uk
I have a list of readings in mV and it says "The metre readings have a conversion factor of 9.29 V/J.

If there is a reading of 10 mV would you just do 10/9.29 to convert to Joules?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
10mV is in miliVolts, or 10mV = (10/1000) V

So to convert 10mV into, let's call it Unit J (instead of Joules for a minute) (instead of mJ), using the given conversion, mathematically it's:

[tex] 10mV = {{10mV \over 1000{mV \over V}} \over 9.29 {V \over J}} [/tex]

(writing it out that way with is just to maybe help you see how the units work)

EDIT: But as an important note... Volts aren't the same as Joules
A Joule is a unit of energy, and 1 Volt is equal to 1 Joule of energy per Coulomb of charge, so V = J/C, in general. You can't convert from Volts to Joules, but you can convert from V to J/C, which is what I assume you are really doing, and the 9.29 has some unit related to charge.

Last edited:

Yes, you are correct. To convert from mV to Joules, you would divide the mV reading by the conversion factor of 9.29 V/J. In this case, a reading of 10 mV would be converted to 1.08 Joules (10/9.29 = 1.08). It is important to remember to always include the appropriate units in your calculations to ensure accuracy.

I would like to provide a more detailed explanation for converting mV to Joules. The conversion factor of 9.29 V/J is the conversion factor for converting voltage to energy. In other words, it tells us how many Joules of energy are present in 1 Volt of electric potential.

To convert mV to Joules, we need to consider the units of both measurements. The mV represents millivolts, which is a unit of electric potential (or voltage), while Joules is a unit of energy. Therefore, we need to use the conversion factor to convert from millivolts to Joules. This can be done by multiplying the mV value by the conversion factor, which is 9.29 V/J.

In the given example of a reading of 10 mV, the conversion to Joules would be 10 mV * (9.29 V/J) = 92.9 mJ (millijoules). This means that 10 mV of electric potential is equivalent to 92.9 mJ of energy.

It is important to note that the conversion factor may vary depending on the system or experiment being studied. Therefore, it is always recommended to double-check the specific conversion factor for the given system or experiment.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the conversion from mV to Joules.

1. What is the formula for converting mV to Joules?

The formula for converting mV (millivolts) to Joules is J = (mV x 0.001) x q, where J represents Joules, mV represents millivolts, and q represents the charge in Coulombs.

2. Why do we need to convert mV to Joules?

In order to measure and compare the energy of an electrical charge, we need to use a standard unit of measurement. Converting mV to Joules allows us to express the energy in a consistent and universally recognized unit.

3. How do I determine the charge in Coulombs for the conversion?

The charge in Coulombs can be determined by multiplying the current in Amperes by the time in seconds. This can be represented by the equation q = I x t, where q represents charge, I represents current, and t represents time.

4. Is there a difference between mV and Joules?

Yes, mV and Joules are different units of measurement. mV represents voltage, which is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. Joules represent energy, which is a measure of the ability to do work.

5. Can I use an online calculator to convert mV to Joules?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can help you convert mV to Joules. However, it is important to understand the formula and steps involved in the conversion in order to ensure accuracy and to be able to perform the calculation manually if needed.