Conversion from galactic coordinates to image coordinates

In summary: Your Name]In summary, there are several tools and libraries available in Matlab that can assist with converting from galactic to physical image coordinates. These include the Astronomy Toolbox for Matlab and the FITSIO library. To use the header information in a FITS file, you can utilize the WCS keywords to extract and apply the coordinate transformation. Good luck with your research!
physical101
Dear All

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool/library in Matlab that would enable me to convert from galactic to physical image coordinates.

I can read the header file etc of a fits file but I am at a bit of a loss as how to use this information to get real image coordinates.

Cheers

Duane

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Dear Duane,

Thank you for your question. There are several tools and libraries available in Matlab that can help you convert from galactic to physical image coordinates. One option is the Astronomy Toolbox for Matlab, which includes functions for coordinate transformations and image manipulation. Another option is the FITSIO library, which allows you to read and write FITS files and extract information from the header.

To use the header information to get real image coordinates, you can use the WCS (World Coordinate System) keywords in the FITS header. These keywords provide information about the coordinate system used in the image, including the transformation between pixel coordinates and physical coordinates. You can use the functions in the Astronomy Toolbox or the FITSIO library to extract this information and apply it to your data.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

1. What are galactic coordinates?

Galactic coordinates are a system used to locate points in the sky relative to the galactic plane. They are based on the equatorial coordinate system, with the center of the Milky Way galaxy as the origin.

2. How are galactic coordinates converted to image coordinates?

Galactic coordinates are typically converted to image coordinates using a mathematical transformation known as a plate solution. This involves determining the orientation and scale of the image, as well as the position of the center of the image in the sky.

3. Why is it important to convert from galactic coordinates to image coordinates?

Converting from galactic coordinates to image coordinates allows for accurate positioning of objects in astronomical images. This is essential for identifying and studying celestial objects, as well as for creating accurate sky maps.

4. Are there different methods for converting galactic coordinates to image coordinates?

Yes, there are several different plate solution methods that can be used to convert galactic coordinates to image coordinates. These include the tangent plane projection, the zenithal equidistant projection, and the stereographic projection, among others.

5. Are there any challenges in converting galactic coordinates to image coordinates?

One challenge in converting galactic coordinates to image coordinates is the distortion that can occur due to the curvature of the sky. This can be addressed by using more advanced plate solution methods or by using multiple reference points in the image.