Convert 1.2 Parsecs to Arcminutes - Help Needed!

• I
  • Thread starter mmont012
  • Start date
In summary, the graduate student told me to convert 1.2 parsecs into arcminutes using an equation. Then, I need to know the distance to the cluster in order to do the conversion.
mmont012
Can someone help me convert 1.2 parsecs into arcminutes?

I'm currently doing an internship that does astrophysics research and the grad student told me to do this conversion. I need it to get the data that I need to make tables, but I'm just confused.

I asked for help but they said that this information was all that I needed to make the conversion.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you can directly convert those quantities. A parsec is a unit of distance but an arcminute is an angle. Is there any other information you can give us? What information is going to be in these tables?

Likes davenn
The tables show the location of individual stars that are in a cluster around a more massive central star. And she wants the data for all tge stars that are 1.2 parsecs away from the center one but the website requires that I put it in arcminutes (90 max). I told her that I thought that I was missing some information but she said that I had everything that I needed.

I showed her an equation that I came across which is theta=size (in AU) / distance (in parsecs)
Then I can convert radians to arcminutes.

She said yes that I just convert 1.2 parsecs into AU and then said that it was an easy conversion...

I'm lost. I'm sorry that I don't have more.

You need to know the distance to the cluster. Then the angular distance of a star from the center of the cluster is just:

angular distance of a star from the center of the cluster = distance of the star from the center of the cluster (in parsecs) / distance to the cluster (in parsecs)

1 parsec =1/arsec (arcsec=1/60 arcmin)
multiply by 1.2 to get 1.2/arcsec, then convert to arcmin.
This gives you apparent angular size at 1.2 parsecs.
AU and Parsec relationship : 1 AU = 149,597, 000 kilometers = 1.49597E10 meters
1 pc= 3.0857E16 meters =2.0662E5 AU
1AU = just under 5E-6 pc

AgentCachat said:
1 parsec =1/arsec (arcsec=1/60 arcmin)

have you a reference for this, it doesn't sound correct ?
I cannot see how you can have a distance equalling an angular measurement without having more info
namely the distance between you and the objects

the angular measurement of separation of 2 objects a parsec apart is going to be very different for me, the observer if I am at 10 lightyears distance compared to if I am 100 lightyears distance from themDave

davenn said:
have you a reference for this, it doesn't sound correct ?
I cannot see how you can have a distance equalling an angular measurement without having more info
namely the distance between you and the objects

the angular measurement of separation of 2 objects a parsec apart is going to be very different for me, the observer if I am at 10 lightyears distance compared to if I am 100 lightyears distance from them
Dave

Yes. As davenn says, and as I said in Post #4, you need to know the distance to the cluster in order to do the calculation.

@mmont012 - have you resolved the issue?

Likes davenn
She gave me a new piece of information; the distance of the cluster is 1.7 kpc. Thank you all for your help! It is truly appreciated!

1. How do I convert 1.2 parsecs to arcminutes?

To convert 1.2 parsecs to arcminutes, you can use the formula: 1 parsec = 206,265 arcminutes. Therefore, 1.2 parsecs is equal to 247,518 arcminutes.

2. Why do we need to convert between parsecs and arcminutes?

Parsecs and arcminutes are both units of measurement used in astronomy. Sometimes, it may be necessary to convert between the two units in order to accurately measure distances or angles in space.

3. Can I use a calculator to convert 1.2 parsecs to arcminutes?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert between these two units. Simply multiply 1.2 by 206,265 to get the equivalent value in arcminutes.

4. Is there an easier way to convert between parsecs and arcminutes?

Some people may find it easier to use a conversion tool or app to quickly convert between parsecs and arcminutes. These tools can be found online or downloaded on a smartphone.

5. Are there any other units of measurement for distance and angles in astronomy?

Yes, there are many other units used in astronomy, such as light years, astronomical units, and degrees. It is important to be familiar with these units and know how to convert between them for accurate measurements in astronomy.