Converting Earth's Radius to Surface Area and Volume | Conversion Help

• Thread starter Darkhrse99
  • Start date
In summary, the Earth's radius is 6.37x10^6 meters and can be converted to a surface area of 4pi(6.37x10^6)^2 m^2 and a volume of \frac{4}{3} pi(6.37x10^6)^3 m^3. To convert to km^2 and km^3, multiply by 10^6.
Darkhrse99

Homework Statement

The Earth's radius is 6.37x10^6 meters. I need to convert this to surface area in km^2 and it's volume in cubic kilometers.

I'm not sure where to start on either one.

Thanks
Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for the surface area/volume of a sphere?

Surface area is 4pi R^2 and surface volume is 4pi R^3

Darkhrse99 said:
Surface area is 4pi R^2 and surface volume is 4pi R^3

Note that the volume is [itex]\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3[/itex]

So just put the radius into the formulas and for the surface area, the answer will be in m2. To convert, think of it like this:

1km2=1km*1km=1000m*1000m=106m2

Hence 1km2=106m2

Similary do the same for 1km3 and you'll get it out.

Thanks.

What is conversion in scientific terms?

Conversion in scientific terms refers to the process of changing or transforming one form of energy, matter, or unit of measurement into another form. It is a fundamental concept in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology.

Why is conversion important in scientific research?

Conversion is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately measure and compare different quantities and forms of energy or matter. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different scientific principles and phenomena.

What are some common conversion factors used in scientific calculations?

Some common conversion factors used in scientific calculations include temperature conversions (such as Celsius to Fahrenheit), volume conversions (such as liters to milliliters), and mass conversions (such as kilograms to grams).

How can I convert between units of measurement in my experiments?

To convert between units of measurement in experiments, you can use conversion factors or conversion equations. It is important to carefully follow the correct conversion method and double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with conversions?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for converting between units of measurement in scientific research. Some popular options include unit conversion calculators, conversion charts, and conversion apps.