1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion help please

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hello,

My name is Michael, and I have been working out some stuff which is to do with my boat, Hartley TS16. I have worked out the boats sail drive in different wind speeds etc. and have done so in KGF. Is there any way which I can convert this force into speed? I also have worked out relevant drag coefficients for relative wind speeds and lee heel.

I have a spreadsheet with all the details (no forumals etc. just data), if it would help I can send that to a few people.

If so, could someone please help me convert the following forces into speed (m/s, km/h is fine) - listen in kgf and lb, for your convenience

(kgf) (lb)
    3 | 7
    7 | 28
    20 | 44
    29 | 64
    39 | 86
    51 | 113
    68 | 149
    83 | 184
    71 | 156
    82 | 180
    92 | 204

Anyway just to solve curiosity this is the boat:
    10-107.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

This is not a mathematics question, it is a physics question so I am moving it.

Nice boat, by the way. I am tempted to suspect that you posted this question just to show off the boat!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook