1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conversion help

  1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    for the permeabilty of space constant, how do you change the units from TA/m to gauss/emu? or for what unit does that constant equal 4pi?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    The permeabilty of 'free' space, [itex]\mu[/itex] = B/H,

    so simply convert B and H from MKSA to esu/emu units.

    For Magnetic Induction (B), 1 Wb/m2 = 104gauss, and
    for Magnetic Field Intensity (H), 1 A-turn/m = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]x10-3oersted

    In free space [itex]\mu_o[/itex] = 4[itex]\pi[/itex] x 10-7 henry/m.

    See -- http://www.its.caltech.edu/~culick/Roschke.pdf
  4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    so it equals 4pi esu/emu ?
  5. Nov 21, 2005 #4
    [itex]\mu_o[/itex]=[4 x 10-7 W/Am]*[10^4 (gauss*m^2)/W]*[10^3 (emu/cm^3)]=4pi emu*m/Acm^3?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook