1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion- MeV to V?

1. May 17, 2005 #1
    Hello- is it possible to convert MeV to V???? If so, how is it done? For example if a particle is emmitted with an energy of 4.19MeV- how can this be changed into V???? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They are not teh same unit of measure. eV is a unit of energy (1.602 x 10^19 ev = 1 Joule) and V is electrical potential. I think my intro to modern physics said its the energy required to move an electron through a 1 volt potential

4. May 17, 2005 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Is it possible to convert apples to oranges? The MeV (mega-electron-volt) is a unit of energy. The V (volt) is a unit of electrical potential difference.

The volt and the electron-volt are related in that if you take a particle that has a charge equal in magnitude to that on an electron (1.6e-19 coulomb) and accelerate or decelerate it by sending it through a potential difference of one volt, it will gain or lose one electron-volt of energy (which is just another name for 1.6e-19 J of energy).

You can't change the 4.19 MeV into V because they're different kinds of physical quantities. But you can say that in order to bring the particle to a stop, you'd have to send it through a potential difference of -4.19 MV (megavolts).

5. May 17, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Simple newbie mistake. I was wondering how to convert eV to volts too. I saw it as "electron-volts" and "volts" and thought, pff, duh! has to be the same! lol.

6. May 17, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may wanna rethink that... :wink:

Daniel.

7. May 17, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What, whats wrong with that?

8. May 17, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Everything.

[tex] 1eV\simeq 1.6\cdot 10^{-19}J [/tex]

DO you see the difference...?

Daniel.

9. May 18, 2005 #8
    edited for screwing this up myself too.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  10. May 18, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Somehow...thinking if 1.602e^-19 J = 1eV then shouldnt 1.602e^19 eV = 1J... I have yet to do a homework problem or exam problem where i got the answer wrong... maybe its because i was rarely ever asked for an answer in Joules...

11. May 18, 2005 #10
    No. Think about it. What do you divide 1.602e^-19 by to make it equal to 1?

12. May 18, 2005 #11
    Need to review your scientific notation.

2E-03 = 0.002

The inverse of 2E-03 is not 2E+03 = 2000

Since 2000 * 0.002 = 4.

13. May 18, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Obviously all i thought was "pff, to get 1.602e^-19 to equal 1, you must multiply it by 1.602e^19! ". Just one of those things that for some reason, all your knowledge takes a day off and you think of the most assanine way of converting something.

14. May 18, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol i like how the google targeted search result shows an advertisement for "Adult/Youth Basic Skills"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?