Can you help me convert compounds with water molecules?

• Thread starter ~angel~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, the conversation is about converting manganese nitrate-6-water to manganese sulfate-4-water and calcium acetate-1-water to calcium nitrate-4-water through chemical reactions and recrystallization. The speaker is seeking help in understanding the process and how it results in specific products.
~angel~
I'm having a lot of trouble with some of these questions. Please help

Converting manganse nitrate-6-water to manganese sulfate-4-water

Converting calcium acetate-1-water to calcium nitrate-4-water.

It's the "water" bits that confuse me. I just need a couple of ionic equations to show the conversion (like dissolving it in water, etc).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Converting,like reacting with certain compounds?

For example

[tex] Mn\left(NO_{3}\right)_{2}\cdot 6H_{2}O+H_{2}SO_{4}\rightarrow MnSO_{4}+2HNO_{3}+6H_{2}O [/tex]

How do you know that by recrystalization of the reaction products u'd get [itex]MnSO_{4}\cdot 4H_{2}O [/itex]...?

Daniel.

As for the second

[tex] Ca(CH_{3}-COO)_{2}\cdot H_{2}O+2HNO_{3}\rightarrow Ca\left(NO_{3}\right)_{2}+2CH_{3}-COOH [/tex]

Again,by recrystalization,how do u know it's going to be a [itex] Ca\left(NO_{3}\right)_{2}\cdot 4H_{2}O [/itex] ?

Daniel.

That's exactly what I'm having trouble with. Thanks for your help. :smile:

Well,those acids must be in solution,u can see that,doing the second one stoichiometrically,u won't get that 4 molecules of water.

Daniel.

1. What is the process of converting compounds?

The process of converting compounds involves changing the chemical structure of a compound to form a new compound. This can be done through various methods such as chemical reactions, heating, or mixing with other compounds.

2. Why is conversion of compounds important in science?

Conversion of compounds is important in science because it allows scientists to create new compounds with different properties for various applications. This can lead to advancements in fields such as medicine, materials science, and agriculture.

3. What are some examples of converted compounds?

Examples of converted compounds include the conversion of sodium chloride (table salt) to sodium hydroxide for use in soap making, the conversion of crude oil to gasoline and other fuels, and the conversion of glucose to ethanol for use in alcoholic beverages.

4. How is the conversion of compounds monitored and measured?

The conversion of compounds can be monitored and measured through various techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These methods allow scientists to analyze the chemical structure and composition of the compounds before and after conversion.

5. Are there any safety considerations when converting compounds?

Yes, there are safety considerations when converting compounds as some reactions may produce hazardous substances. It is important for scientists to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when handling potentially dangerous compounds.