Solve Cube Volume Conversion Problem: Get Right Answer!

• Thread starter Ester
  • Start date
In summary: Overall, you are correct. The wording is a bit confusing and could have been better clarified. However, the main point of the problem is to understand the relationship between volume and surface area when breaking a cube into smaller cubes. By dividing the cube into 1,000 cubic millimeter units, we are essentially creating a grid of 10 x 10 x 10 little cubes, each with a volume of 1 cubic millimeter. This grid structure allows us to easily calculate the total surface area of all the little cubes by multiplying the surface area of one little cube by the total number of little cubes (1000). This is why we multiply by 1000 at the end. I hope this helps clarify things a bit more.
Ester
A cube with a volume of one cubic centimeter (1 cc) has equal sides of 1 centimeter squared with a total surface area of 6 square centimeters (= 6 cm2 or 600 mm2). Dividing the same volume into 1000 cubic millimeter units would lead to a total surface area of ?
A. 6 cm2
B. 6 mm2
C. 60 cm2
D. 60 mm2
E. 600 cm2

The right answer is 60 cm2. I don't know how to derive this answer. When I work it out I get 6cm2. This is because
one cubic centimeter (1 cc) / 1000 cubic millimeter units =
1cm3/1000cm3 = 1
and to get the surface area, multiply by 6.

What am I doing wrong, anyone know how to get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dividing the cube into 1,000 little cubes each 0.1 cm across. Therefore each has surface area equal to 6 times 1/100 cm^2 and multiplying by 1,000 gives 60 cm^2.

I still don't get it, how you're getting those numbers. I get 0.01cm acroos.

Last edited:
10 X 10 X 10 = 1000: you create 1,000 pieces by cutting each linear dimension into 10 parts.

Thus, each little cube is 1/10 cm X 1/10 cm X 1/10 cm (1 mm X 1 mm X 1 mm)

Thanks for your help.
However, I'm still a bit unclear on another part.
ok, I've got everything you've said except the part where you multiply by 1000 in the end. Why did you do that. I mean, (.01cm2)(6) should be the surface area, it has the units correct. How do you know when to multiply by 1000, what if you multiple by 100? I just want to know how you get that number.

Last edited:
Can somebody help me?

Ester,

Obviously, the total volume is unchanged. You are told that the original cube is divided into 1,000 pieces and, clearly, each of those pieces will have a volume of 1 cubic millimeter. The total surface area of the 1,000 little cubes is greater than the original cube because the act of cutting the cube exposes surface that was not there prior to cutting.

Here's another approach you can take. If x is the length of a side of a cube then its volume is [itex]V = x^3[/itex] and its surface area is [itex]S = 6 x^2[/itex]. If the volume of a little cube is 1/1000 cc then [itex]\frac {1}{1000} cc = x^3[/itex] so [itex]x = \frac {1}{10} cm[/itex]. Therefore, the surface area of each little cube is [itex]S = 6 \times \frac {1}{100} cm^2[/itex]. Finally, multiply by 1,000 to get the total surface area of ALL the little cubes!

Finally, multiply by 1,000 to get the total surface area of ALL the little cubes![/QUOTE]

That is what I was confused about in addition to the volume being constant. Thanks a lot. :) I really get it now. The second approach helped a lot. :approve: :wink:

Personally, I think the wording of the problem is really goofy. It would have been much better to say that the same volume was broken in 1000 cubes. Adding the 'cubic mm units' really throws things off. Also, mentally dividing a cube into smaller cubes changes the surface area naught unless the cubes are phsically separated, which it seems was indeed the question. Wasn't clear at all in my opinion.

1. How do I calculate the volume of a cube?

To calculate the volume of a cube, you need to know the length of one of its sides. The formula for volume is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side. So, if the length of one side is 5 cm, the volume would be 5^3 = 125 cm^3.

2. What is the unit of measurement for cube volume?

The unit of measurement for cube volume is typically cubic units, such as cubic inches, cubic feet, cubic meters, etc. This represents the three-dimensional space occupied by the cube.

3. How do I convert the volume of a cube from one unit to another?

To convert the volume of a cube from one unit to another, you can use the conversion factor of 1 unit = x cubic units, where x is the conversion factor. For example, if you want to convert cubic centimeters to cubic meters, you would use the conversion factor of 1 m^3 = 1,000,000 cm^3.

4. How do I know if I have the right answer for a cube volume conversion problem?

To check if you have the right answer for a cube volume conversion problem, you can use the formula V = s^3, where V is the volume and s is the length of one side. Make sure to use the correct units for both the volume and the side length in your calculations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a cube volume conversion problem?

One common mistake to avoid is using the wrong units for the conversion. Make sure to convert all units to the same system before doing any calculations. Additionally, be careful when using conversion factors and make sure to use the correct one for the desired conversion. Finally, always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.