Units of Calculation: Conversion Questions

• Thread starter parcerita
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the resulting units from various calculations involving length and time. The provided answers for some of the calculations are cm/s2 and m/s3, but help is needed for the division calculations. To solve these, it is helpful to convert the units into algebraic quantities and approach the problem using that method. For example, in part a), the units are simplified as [L]/[T] x [T].
parcerita
I have never been good at doing this in physics so I want to make sure I'm doping this right. The question asks:

What units would result from each of the following calculations?

a) 3cm/s x 25s
b) 4m2 ÷ 6s
c) 15m/s2 x 2s
d) 5m/s ÷ 3s
e) 3g ÷ 2cm3
f) 1.6kg/m2 ÷ 4m

This are what I think are the answers for some:

a) cm/s2
c) m/s3

The division ones I really I'm not sure. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok with these it helps if you can turn the units into algebraic quantities and deal with them in that manner. So for part a) we have a length [L] divided by a time [T] then multiplied by a time [T]

can you simplify: [tex]\frac{[L]}{[T]} \times [T][/tex]

I appreciate your efforts to understand and ensure accuracy in your calculations. It is important to pay attention to units when performing calculations in physics, as they can greatly affect the accuracy and meaning of your results. Let's go through each calculation and determine the correct units that would result from them:

a) 3cm/s x 25s = 75cm/s^2
b) 4m^2 ÷ 6s = 0.67m^2/s
c) 15m/s^2 x 2s = 30m/s
d) 5m/s ÷ 3s = 1.67m/s^2
e) 3g ÷ 2cm^3 = 1.5g/cm^3
f) 1.6kg/m^2 ÷ 4m = 0.4kg/m

In order to determine the units, we must first look at the units of each individual value in the calculation. For example, in the first calculation (a), we have cm/s x s. The unit for speed is cm/s, and the unit for time is s. When multiplying, we multiply the numbers and also the units, so we end up with (cm/s) x s = (cm/s) x (s) = cm/s^2. Similarly, in the fifth calculation (e), we have g ÷ cm^3. The unit for mass is g and the unit for volume is cm^3. When dividing, we divide the numbers and also the units, so we end up with (g) ÷ (cm^3) = g/cm^3.

I hope this helps clarify the units for each calculation. Remember to always pay attention to units and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. If you are still unsure, it is always helpful to consult with a teacher or another scientist for guidance. Keep up the good work!

1. What are units of calculation?

Units of calculation refer to the specific measurements that are used to quantify a certain quantity, such as length, weight, or volume. These units are used in mathematical calculations to determine the value of a quantity.

2. How do I convert units of calculation?

To convert units of calculation, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. This can be found through a conversion chart or by using a conversion calculator. Then, simply multiply the quantity in the original unit by the conversion factor to get the value in the desired unit.

3. Why is it important to convert units of calculation?

Converting units of calculation is important because it allows for accurate and consistent measurements. It also allows for easy comparison between different units and helps to avoid errors in calculations.

4. What are some common units of calculation?

Some common units of calculation include meters, kilograms, liters, degrees Celsius, and seconds. However, there are many different units for various quantities, depending on the system of measurement being used.

5. Can units of calculation be converted between different systems of measurement?

Yes, units of calculation can be converted between different systems of measurement, such as from the metric system to the imperial system. This requires knowing the conversion factors between the units in each system and following the same steps as for converting between units within the same system.