1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion rate

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    I had x particle. After 5 second due to conversion it came down (x-4) particle. Now, how do i calculate conversion rate/sec?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2
    you cant determine the conversion rate with just reading.. chances are there of going wrong, if its an exponential or depending upon the initial quantity. othrewise its normal way (-4 particle /second)

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The best you can do is find the average rate of change over 5 seconds by dividing by 5 seconds: the net change was -4 particles in 5 seconds so the average rate of change is -4/5 particles per second.

If you have reason to think the rate of change is constant, then it is -4/5 particles per second.

(I think abluphoton miswrote and meant "-4 particles/ 5 seconds" which is -4/5 particles per second.)

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    correction i should have told [-4/5 particle per second]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook