Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversions in magnetic units

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1

I am having some problems with converting experimental data to SI units.

In a SQUID I measured a magnetic sample and the saturation magnetization is, let's say a.

Let' s take the volume of the sample V (cm^3)

According to a lot of conversion tables I should get:

(4*Pi) * 10^(-4) *a/V for the magnetization in T(esla).

The problem is that I get a very big unrealistic number.

Does anyone know for sure if this is correct or not?

Thanks, bye
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,magnetisation & magnetic field induction both have Tesla as a SI-mKgs unit.However,volume has m^{3},and not (cm)^{3}...

So bring everything to SI-mKgs units...

4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    Yes but cgs units of magnetization is emu/cm^3

And to go from this value to Tesla I think I have to multiply by 4*Pi * 10^-4
  5. Mar 30, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't know.I've only used SI-mKgs units in classical physics all my life.Thank god they changed the units when writing the 3rd edition of Jackson's book...

What's "emu"...? (some sort of an ostrich (i don't think it's spelled that way))

6. Mar 30, 2005 #5
    Haha yeah that's funny, but no it means something else (don't know what though).

I also studied eveything in SI but SQUID and a lot of other stuff measures in emu. So that's pretty stupid, but I guess (hope) the new generation of scientists and machines will use SI-units as soon as possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?