How far does light go in a nanometer?

• Thread starter bigman8424
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, it would take approximately 43.7 months (to 3 significant figures) for someone traveling at 27500 mi/hr to go 1.43*10^12 meters. Additionally, light travels about 1 foot in one nanosecond. Remember to arrange conversions so that the units cancel in order to find the desired unit.
bigman8424
how long, in months to 3 sig. figs, would it take someone traveling 27500 mi/hr to go 1.43*10^12 meters

please help, I'm horrible at conversions

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the connection between time,speed and distance...?

Daniel.

Tell you what big dude, figure that one then figure how far light travels in one nanosecond. I'm guessing about 10 feet. You finish yours, then try and work on mine. I'll let a day go by and then post how I figured it out if you still haven't done so.

saltydog said:
Tell you what big dude, figure that one then figure how far light travels in one nanosecond. I'm guessing about 10 feet. You finish yours, then try and work on mine. I'll let a day go by and then post how I figured it out if you still haven't done so.

Oh yea, I didnt' forget: How far does light go in a nanometer:

The important thing to remember about conversions is to arrange the quotients so that the units cancel. That's the purpose of this exercise:

So we have:

[tex]\text{Speed of light: }\frac{186000\quad\text{miles}}{1\quad\text{second}}[/tex]

[tex]\text{feet in a mile:}\frac{5280\quad\text{feet}}{1\quad\text{mile}}[/tex]

[tex]\text{nanoseconds in a second:}\frac{10^9\quad\text{nanoseconds}}{1\quad\text{second}}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\frac{186000\quad\text{miles}}{1\quad\text{second}}*\frac{5280\quad\text{feet}}{1\quad\text{mile}}*\frac{1\quad\text{second}}{10^9\quad\text{nanoseconds}}[/tex]

Note how the units cancel leaving feet/nanosecond. It's about 1 foot. It's the same way with all the other conversion problems: Arrange the quotients so that the units cancel leaving you with what you want.

1. What is the "Conversions travel problem"?

The "Conversions travel problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal route for a vehicle to travel between multiple locations while also satisfying certain constraints such as limited fuel or time.

2. What are the real-world applications of the Conversions travel problem?

The Conversions travel problem has many real-world applications, including route optimization for delivery or transportation services, planning for emergency response vehicles, and creating efficient travel itineraries for tourists.

3. How is the Conversions travel problem solved?

The Conversions travel problem can be solved using various algorithms, such as the nearest neighbor algorithm, the genetic algorithm, or the simulated annealing algorithm. These algorithms use different approaches to find the optimal route based on the given constraints.

4. What are the challenges of solving the Conversions travel problem?

One of the main challenges of solving the Conversions travel problem is the exponential increase in the number of possible routes as the number of locations increases. This makes it difficult to find the optimal solution in a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, incorporating real-world factors such as traffic conditions and road closures can also add complexity to the problem.

5. What are some strategies for improving the efficiency of solving the Conversions travel problem?

To improve the efficiency of solving the Conversions travel problem, one can use heuristics or approximation algorithms that provide a good solution in a shorter amount of time. Another strategy is to use parallel computing techniques to divide and conquer the problem. Additionally, incorporating data from GPS or other real-time sources can also help in finding more accurate and efficient solutions.