Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert absorption coefficient units between Hitran, Lifbase

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I have some modelling code that uses data from Hitran 2012 (https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hitran/Download/HITRAN2012.pdf). I want to use some data from Lifbase but unfortunately the absorption coefficient units do not match.

Lifbase units are given in m3 J-1 s-2 whereas Hitran units are given as cm-1 / (molecule cm-2).

Some simple calculations arrives at the following conversion between the two:

[Hitran units] = ( M_r / (100 * N_A) ) * [Lifbase units]

where M_r is the molecular mass of the species and N_A is Avogadro's constant.

For some reason this does not seem to be correct. The absorption coefficients are out by a few orders of magnitude. Is my conversion correct?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook