Convert between state vectors and orbital elements

In summary, the conversation is about converting two vectors into orbital elements. The vectors are used to calculate the semimajor axis, eccentricity vector, eccentricity, inclination, RAAN, argument of perigee, and true anomaly. The standard gravitational parameter is used in the calculations, and a link is provided for further understanding.
napst3r
Hi there I've been struggling to convert the following two vectors into orbital elements,
the vectors are as follows:

R = 0i - 7950j + 0k km
V = 5i + 0j + 5k km/sec

I would like someone to help with the calculations of the following COEs:
- semimajor axis (a)
- eccentricity vector
- eccentricity (e)
- inclination (i)
- RAAN (Ω)
- argument of perigee (ω)
- true anomaly (v)

I have tried to understand the following link but I am not getting the answers i should be getting
http://www.cdeagle.com/omnum/pdf/csystems.pdf

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!The semimajor axis (a) can be calculated using the equation a = ||R||2/μ, where μ is the standard gravitational parameter of the body the orbit is around. In this case, μ = 398600.44 km3/s2. Plugging in the vector for R, we get a = 79502/398600.44 = 3.964 km. The eccentricity vector can be calculated using the equation e = V × R / μ - R/||R||, where V is the velocity vector, and R is the position vector. For this case, e = (5i + 0j + 5k) × (0i - 7950j + 0k) / 398600.44 - (0i - 7950j + 0k) / 7950 = (-39750i + 0j - 39750k)/398600.44.The eccentricity (e) can be calculated using the equation e = ||e||, where e is the eccentricity vector. For this case, e = √(397502 + 0 + 397502) / 398600.44 = 0.9974.The inclination (i) can be calculated using the equation i = arccos(e z / ||e||). For this case, i = arccos(-39750/√(397502 + 0 + 397502)) = 90°.The RAAN (Ω) can be calculated using the equation Ω = arctan(e y / e x). For this case, Ω = arctan(0 / -39750) = 180°.The argument of perigee (ω) can be calculated using the equation ω = arccos(R · e / ||R|| · ||e||). For this case, ω = arccos(0 / 7950·0.9974) = 0°.The true anomaly (v) can be calculated using the equation v = arccos(R · V / ||R|| · ||V||). For this case, v = arccos(0 / 7950·5) = 0°.

What is the difference between state vectors and orbital elements?

State vectors are sets of six parameters that describe the position and velocity of an object in space at a specific time. Orbital elements, on the other hand, are a set of six parameters that describe the shape and orientation of an object's orbit around a central body.

Why is it necessary to convert between state vectors and orbital elements?

While state vectors provide an accurate representation of an object's position and velocity at a specific time, orbital elements provide a more intuitive understanding of an object's orbit. Converting between the two allows for better visualization and analysis of an object's trajectory.

How do you convert from state vectors to orbital elements?

The conversion from state vectors to orbital elements involves a series of mathematical calculations using Kepler's laws of planetary motion. This includes determining the eccentricity, semimajor axis, and inclination of the orbit.

What are the advantages of using orbital elements over state vectors?

Orbital elements provide a more intuitive understanding of an object's orbit, as they are based on the fundamental properties of the orbit. They also allow for easier comparison and analysis of different orbits.

What are some common applications of converting between state vectors and orbital elements?

Converting between state vectors and orbital elements is essential for space missions, such as launching and tracking satellites, predicting and avoiding collisions with other objects, and planning and executing interplanetary missions. It is also used in astronomical research for studying the motion of celestial bodies.