1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert ENU velocity to ECEF

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not actually a homework problem, but it should be a fairly simple problem (hopefully). My apologies if this is better suited for the engineering forum.
    I have been given an aircraft heading and a set of velocities in the ENU coordinate system. I need to convert the velocities from ENU to ECEF and calculate the aircraft track. As far as I can tell I am doing the velocity conversions correctly, but I cannot get the aircraft heading and the aircraft track to agree within +/- 15 degrees.

2. Relevant equations
    I am using the following direction cosine matrix, which I arrived at by starting with the DCM for converting from ECEF to NED, swapping the first and second rows, negating the third row and taking the transpose:

CN2E = | -sin(lon) -sin(lat)*cos(lon) cos(lat)*cos(lon) |
    | cos(lon) -sin(lat)*sin(lon) cos(lat)*sin(lon) |
    | 0 cos(lat) sin(lat) |

lat = 34.2547 %degrees
    lon = -96.6522 %degrees
    height = 3690 %meters
    velocity_ENU = [76.8213; -42.7113; 1.5302] %meters
    heading = 123.2568 %degrees

3. The attempt at a solution
    Multiplying CN2E * vel_ENU yields:
    vel_x = 73.3726
    vel_y = -34.0346
    vel_z = -34.4414

This gives an aircraft speed of approx 170 knots; i don't have our exact aircraft speed at the time the measurement was made, but that's in the ballpark.
    Finally, taking atan2(vel_y/vel_x) and converting to degrees yields an aircraft track of -24.8847 degrees, which is not even close to the heading of 123.2568 degrees.
    Can anyone see where I might have gone wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?