Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert force to psi

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    If I have something that can lift 400lbs. How would I determine how much pressure this could generate if used in a punch type situation. I would be punching a hole.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

If I understand the question correctly, you just divide your 400 lbs. by the surface area over which it is applied. For instance, a 1/4 sq. inch punch with 400 lbs behind it would exert 1,600 psi.

4. Nov 10, 2005 #3
    Yeah, that was exactly what I was wanting to know. I don't know why I was thinking it was more difficult. Thanks.

5. Nov 10, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Quite welcome, I'm sure. :smile:

6. Nov 21, 2005 #5

Actually, that depends on the kind of loading (i.e. static or impact).
    It is true that to solve for stress, one only needs to divide F/A.
    However, in an impact situation, you force is actually mass times acceleration. Therefore,

Stress = ma/A

(I think) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

7. Nov 21, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

The wording of the question sort of led me to think that infraray was considering the use of an arbour press or such-like, so I assumed the impact speed to be negligible. It would be a little more complicated if he were using a gun of some kind, because there'd probably be deformation of the tool head and more heat production. That's a little out of my league.

8. May 6, 2011 #7
    Actually acording to Newtons second law of motion F=ma and their for ma/A=F/A so it does not mater either way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?