Find Pressure from Force: Calculate PSI for 400lbs

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the pressure generated when using something that can lift 400lbs in a punching situation. It is determined that the pressure is calculated by dividing the weight by the surface area over which it is applied. It is also noted that in an impact situation, the force is actually mass times acceleration. The conversation also mentions the use of an arbour press or gun, which could complicate the calculation.
infraray
If I have something that can lift 400lbs. How would I determine how much pressure this could generate if used in a punch type situation. I would be punching a hole.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand the question correctly, you just divide your 400 lbs. by the surface area over which it is applied. For instance, a 1/4 sq. inch punch with 400 lbs behind it would exert 1,600 psi.

Yeah, that was exactly what I was wanting to know. I don't know why I was thinking it was more difficult. Thanks.

Quite welcome, I'm sure. :smile:

Danger said:
Quite welcome, I'm sure. :smile:

Actually, that depends on the kind of loading (i.e. static or impact).
It is true that to solve for stress, one only needs to divide F/A.
However, in an impact situation, you force is actually mass times acceleration. Therefore,

Stress = ma/A

(I think) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The wording of the question sort of led me to think that infraray was considering the use of an arbour press or such-like, so I assumed the impact speed to be negligible. It would be a little more complicated if he were using a gun of some kind, because there'd probably be deformation of the tool head and more heat production. That's a little out of my league.

Actually acording to Newtons second law of motion F=ma and their for ma/A=F/A so it does not mater either way

1. How do you find the pressure from force?

To find the pressure from force, you need to divide the force by the area over which it is applied. This can be represented by the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area.

2. What is the unit of measurement for pressure?

The unit of measurement for pressure is typically pounds per square inch (PSI). This measures the amount of force applied over one square inch of area.

3. Can you explain how to calculate PSI for a given force?

To calculate PSI for a given force, you need to know the value of the force in pounds (lbs) and the area in square inches (in^2). Then, you can use the formula P = F/A to find the pressure in PSI.

4. What is the significance of calculating PSI?

Calculating PSI is important in many scientific and industrial applications, such as determining the strength of materials, designing structures, and understanding fluid dynamics. It allows us to quantify the amount of force applied over a specific area, which can affect the behavior and stability of objects and systems.

5. How does pressure affect the force applied?

The pressure applied is directly proportional to the force exerted. This means that as the pressure increases, the force also increases. Additionally, the area over which the force is applied can also impact the overall pressure exerted, as seen in the formula P = F/A.