How do I convert from lux to candela?

In summary, the conversation was about converting values from LUX to Candela for a project involving LEDs on PCB. The formula found on Wikipedia was discussed and clarified, with the article on the topic providing a calculator for the conversion. Clarification was also given on the units used in the formula and the confusion surrounding it. The conversation ended with a question on how to convert from LUX to Candela, which was answered by using the formula provided.
mammou manel
hello
i'm working on a project that consist on reading the light of LEDs on PCB to determine the color code (R,G,B) and light intensity
but the sensor gives me values in LUX which is the illuminance and i need to convert them to Candela
I found this formula in wikipedia but i didn't understand how to apply it

Attachments

• lux.png
    lux.png
    944 bytes · Views: 741
Physics news on Phys.org
hi, the problem is that i didnt know how to apply the formula
lx = cd / m²
is m² the square of the distance between the sensor and the The light source ?

Here's what the article said for meters:

Candela to lux calculation with distance in meters
The illuminance Ev in lux (lx) is equal to the luminous intensity Iv in candela (cd),

divided by the square distance from the light source d2 in square meters (m2):

Ev(lx) = Iv(cd) / (d(m))2

So

lux = candela / square meters

Or

lx = cd / m^2

where the m represents distance to the light source in meters.

thats what i didn't understand!
how to determine the distance from the light source d2 in square meters... is it the square of the distance between the sensor and the The light source in m

mammou manel said:
the distance from the light source d2 in square meters.
That doesn't make sense so I am not surprised you are confused. It means d is in metres and that's what you enter into the formula. It is not usual to discuss the units of the internal parts of mathematical expressions. Of course, an equation must have balanced dimensions each sideband that's a good check to apply, sometimes.
"lux = candela / square meters" just means that lux is expressed in candela per square metre - that's not a formula and the article is written badly. The formula is written just above the attempt to 'explain' it.
The formula has a hidden constant (of 1) in there when the distance is in metres. If you look at the calculator on that site, it shows a constant in there when you work in feet (about 10 or about 1/10, depending which way you are going). The units here are just practical units for measuring and specifying illumination and I, too, find it a bit arbitrary and confusing.

The article does not say what you quote (from mammou's post).
The actual quote is "divided by the square distance from the light source d2 in square meters (m2)". It is obvious that the square meters refer to the square distance. Maybe just a misreading of the sentence. A comma in the right place may help. :)

so how can i convert from lux to candela? I'm really confused

mammou manel said:
so how can i convert from lux to candela? I'm really confused
You just use the formula and forget the notion (or problem) of dividing by square metres.
Personally, I think the "square distance" should be replaced by "distance squared" and that avoids the confusion. The dimensions take care of themselves.

1. How do you convert from lux to candela?

To convert from lux to candela, you can use the formula:
candela = lux * (distance in meters)^2
This formula assumes that the light source is emitting light in all directions evenly.

2. What is the difference between lux and candela?

Lux is a measure of illuminance, or the amount of light that is received on a surface. Candela, on the other hand, is a measure of luminous intensity, or the amount of light that is emitted from a source in a specific direction.

3. Can you convert from lux to candela without knowing the distance?

No, the conversion from lux to candela requires knowing the distance between the light source and the surface. This is because the intensity of light decreases as it travels further away from the source.

4. How do you measure the distance for the lux to candela conversion?

The distance for the conversion is typically measured in meters. If the distance is not given, it is assumed to be 1 meter.

5. What are some common applications for converting from lux to candela?

Converting from lux to candela is often used in lighting design, as it allows for the calculation of the brightness and intensity of a light source. It is also frequently used in photography and videography to determine the appropriate lighting for a scene.