Convert 0.E to Binary | Hexadecimal to Binary Conversion

In summary, to convert 0.e to binary, you must first multiply it by the desired base, in this case 2. Then, take the whole number and write it down as part of the converted number and drop it. For example, 0.8 * 2 = 1.6, so you would drop the 1 and have 0.6. Next, take the leftover and multiply it by 2 over and over again until you reach the number of significant digits or you reach 1.0. Write down all the numbers that were dropped and you will have the number in a different base. However, the last line of 0.6 * 2 = 1.2
sporus

Homework Statement

convert 0.e to binary

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the method the teacher taught for numbers less than zero was multiply by the desired base. then take the whole number and write it down as part of the converted number and drop it.

ie 0.8*2 = 1.6 drop the 1 and you have 0.6

then take the leftover and multiply it over and over again until you have reaches the number of significant digits or you reach 1.0

write down all the numbers that were dropped and you have the number in a different base

so i did

0.E * 2 = 1.C
0.C * 2 = 1.8
0.8 * 2 = 1.6
0.6 * 2 = 1.2

but the answer i come up with is wrong because i checked it here.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html

Physics news on Phys.org
In hex, 0.8 * 2 = 1.0, not 1.6.

Also, if we ignore the above for a moment and look at the last line:
0.6 * 2 = 1.2
This is wrong too. 0.6 * 2 = 0.C.

o i see thanks that makes sense

Given any hex number to binary, simply convert each hex digit to 4 binary bits, keeping the decimal point in the same position.

You can also think of e in 0.e as being in the 1/16th place. e in decimal is 14, so 0.e = 14/16 = 0.875

True. And that's fine for converting hex to decimal, however the OP is converting hex to binary, so your way would require much more work.

Hmmm, I thought I saw something about converting it to decimal also in the OP, but I guess I was wrong. :blushing:

Bohrok said:
Hmmm, I thought I saw something about converting it to decimal also in the OP, but I guess I was wrong. :blushing:
I thought the same thing, at first. In fact, I had a reply similar to yours ready to post and decided to re-read the OP one last time, so I caught myself.

What is the process for converting hexa to binary?

The process for converting hexa to binary involves breaking down the hexa number into individual digits and then converting each digit to its binary equivalent. This can be done through a series of steps using a conversion chart or by using a calculator or programming language.

What is the difference between hexa and binary?

Hexa and binary are both number systems used in computing. The main difference is that hexa is base 16, meaning it uses 16 digits (0-9 and A-F) to represent all numbers, while binary is base 2, meaning it only uses 2 digits (0 and 1) to represent all numbers. This makes hexa more compact and easier to read for humans, while binary is better for computer processing.

Why is it important to be able to convert hexa to binary?

Converting hexa to binary is important because it allows us to communicate and work with data in a format that is more efficient for computers. Many systems and programs use binary as their base number system, so being able to convert to and from hexa is necessary for data manipulation and analysis.

Can I convert any hexa number to binary?

Yes, you can convert any hexa number to binary. The process is the same for all hexa numbers, regardless of how many digits they have. However, some very large hexa numbers may have a lot of digits in their binary equivalent, making it more difficult to read and work with.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for converting hexa to binary?

There are a few shortcuts and tricks that can make converting hexa to binary easier. For example, if the hexa number is already in binary, you can simply split it into groups of four digits and add leading zeros if needed. Additionally, if the hexa number only contains numbers 0-9, you can use a conversion chart to directly convert each digit to its binary equivalent.