1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert into vector form

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I convert [tex]ax_1+bx_2+cx_3+d=0[/tex] into vector form?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am completely at a loss here, mainly because I don't quite understand vector geometry.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Vectors

If we are to assume that "[itex]x_1[/itex]", "[itex]x_2[/itex]", and "[itex]x_3[/itex]" are components of a vector then that equation would be written [itex]<a, b, c> \cdot <x_1, x_2, x_3>+ d= 0[/itex] where the first term is a "dot product".

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I better go read up on dot products then. Thanks.

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Before I go on, x1, x2 and x3 are just variables in 3 dimensions such as x,y,z. Not exactly sure if that is what you were assuming.

Ok so given the formula for a dot product of two vector a and b is [tex]|a||b|cos\theta[/tex] then we have [tex]\sqrt{(a^2+b^2+c^2)(x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2)}cos\theta+d=0[/tex]

This doesn't seem right... I don't know how to find the angle between each vector and this isn't anywhere near the kind of answer I'm looking for, it should be of a form similar to this:

[tex]<x_1,x_2,x_3>=<0,0,d>+\lamda<a,0,0>[/tex]

Although I'm possibly just using the dot product all wrong.

6. Jul 11, 2010 #5

That's true; however, there's a much simpler definition of the dot product in this case:

[tex]
    <a,b,c> \cdot <x_1,x_2,x_3> = ax_1+bx_2+cx_3.
    [/tex]

As an additional remark, note that, for a plane in [tex] R^3 [/tex], we have the following:

[tex] \vec{\textbf{n}} \cdot \vec{\textbf{x}} = 0, [/tex] where [tex] \vec{\textbf{n}} = <a,b,c> [/tex] is a normal vector to the plane and [tex] \vec{\textbf{x}} = <x_1,x_2,x_3> [/tex] is any point on the plane. This is intuitive when we consider the definition of the dot product that you provided. The angle between any point on the plane and a corresponding normal vector is 90 degrees. Thus, [tex] \cos(\theta) = \cos(90) = 0. [/tex]

I hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook